C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#26 2009-08-16 03:10:46

pura vida

Re: Refrigeration

Pyrite,

Thanks for the update.

Doug,

I've considered the foam in the past and in my less lucid moments considered cutting away the entire icebox and creating a shelf for either a regular ice chest to sit, or possibly an Engel refrigerator. Warren of Serendipity, a MKI, did some serious surgery on the port side of the boat because of rot.

I took out the alcohol stove and used a piece of plywood to make a shelf for storage there. The metal stove cover was fited with a piano hinge and it serves to cover the hole. I am using a Sea Cook gimballed stove so I can cook in the galley or move it to the cockpit. (These are being discontinued, I hear.) There is a lot of space available on the starboard side.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#27 2009-08-16 04:29:45

diva27

Mike: thanks for the input. I'm convinced there's got to be a better way to apportion space in the galley. The icebox is ridiculously huge. One thing I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a source for preformed top-loading iceboxes, rather than having to build one. I can't seem to find the right combination of Google search words.

We have a 2-burner pressurized alcohol, which I don't think was even lit by any of the previous owners. I've had experience with this creature from another boat, but my wife refuses to light it and I want to ditch it for next season with a single-burner Origo. That invites reconsidering everything, port and starboard.Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.sweetwatercruising.com

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#28 2009-08-17 02:10:04

carriden

Hey Doug,

My 27 has an Origo 4100CB double burner stove, which is a drop-in replacement for the original inset alcohol pressure stove.  These are still available from retailers, or you may want to cast around on eBay to see if one comes up there.  Otherwise, Mason's Chandlery (The Store) in Port Credit has some new Chinese knockoffs which are virtually identical, but lower in cost.  I find that having two burners makes meal preparation a lot easier.

I have augmented my Origo stove with a Forespar Mini-Galley 2000, which is a fully-gimballed unit using the small propane tanks.  This hangs on a removable mount on the bulkhead directly in front of the companion-way stairs, so it is only mounted while we are actually using it to cook.  In that location, we can monitor it from within the cabin or from the cockpit.  Being gimballed, it allows us to heat things up while under way.  On this years' Lake Ontario 300, we used it to prepare all of our hot meals, coffee, hot chocolate, etc.  Its primary drawback is the limited pot capacity, which often means feeding just one person at a time.  Still, it conveniently uses the same propane tanks as the barbecue, which makes life simpler.  Transat Marine is the Ontario distributor for Forespar, your local chandlery can order from them.

Hope this gives you food for thought.  I still have my copy of "Against the Odds" by the way.  It has your autograph and Don Green autographed for me as well when he spoke at our club the other winter.  Thanks for the memories.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#29 2009-08-17 09:25:06

diva27

Marcus: glad you have the book. I think Don's autograph is worth a lot more than mine.

I've considered the Origo double-burner, but for me it really has come down to counterspace. We only seem to cook on a single burner (plus a bbq when at anchor). But I'm also planning a flip-up counter over the stbd berth/bench to extend counter space, so who knows, maybe I'll end up with the double anyway. I've heard about the gimbaled single you mention, but I'd probably set my hair on fire with it...

I was down at the boat yesterday, looking at the icebox and the possibility of relocating it as I described previously, and the project started to take on more complications than US healthcare reform. So my eyes wandered forward and settled on the big amorphous space called the hanging locker, which in my boat is a disorganized dump zone for pfds, cockpit canvas, and who knows what else. Now there's a space that invites serious reform.

cheerDoug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#30 2009-08-19 05:30:02

clanning

[hijack on]

Oh, that Doug Hunter!  I have to say that I really enjoy the book (yours and Steve Killing's).  I leafed through it at Chapters many years ago and finally bought it -- very readable, understandable -- I've enjoyed it tremendously.  Thanks.

[/hijack]

Chuck
Chuck Lanning

NSC, Ottawa

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#31 2009-08-19 11:25:19

pura vida

Doug,

I've been looking for information on Evergreen for a very long time. I found a copy of your book at a used book seller and am looking forward to reading it soon.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#32 2009-08-27 08:41:59

diva27

Is there any other Doug Hunter worth mentioning?

Glad everyone likes the books. Now get out there and buy the paperback of God's Mercies and the hardcover of Half Moon, which is officially published on September 1!Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#33 2009-08-27 08:50:03

diva27

Further to my posts on galley recombobulation, I just completed the most dead-simple mod/improvement. I'll take some pictures, but for now let me astonish you with my parsimonious ingenuity. I've added a removeable counter inboard of the icebox. It's a 5/8-thick piece of stock shelving, 12 inches wide, 24 inches long, that I cut down to 22.5 inches. There's now a fiddle under the counter that runs beneath the companionway, and another fiddle that runs along the bulkhead divider that provides the backrest to the seat ahead of the icebox. The shelf drops into place flush against the counter unit with the icebox, and hey presto, two more square feet (or so) of instant counter that can hold two dinner plates or whatever you're fishing out of the icebox. The shelf unit lifts out to provide instant unfettered access to the engine/battery compartment and can otherwise be stored while underway. Total project cost: $10 for the shelf. Fiddle material and screws were already in hand.Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#34 2009-08-27 10:15:59

diva27

Further to the comments about Evergreen and Yacht Design Explained (and nothing to do with refrigeration) I was sailing with Steve Killing last night on his custom 50-foot design for John Daniells. Pics of that machine can be seen at http://www.stevekilling.com/daniells50.htmDoug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club

Doug Hunter
Diva
C&C 27 Mk1
Midland Bay Sailing Club
www.douglashunter.ca

#35 2010-04-07 04:06:45

Pyrite - did you get a chance to post the pics of your refrigeration install? I just bought a Norcold AC/DC refrigeration and would be interested to see how you did your install.

Dan
Dream Catcher
Mk 3 #636

#36 2011-04-25 08:07:59

c&c27dyc

Doug, did you get a chance to snap a photo of your additional table space? Cheers, Dean.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

Board footer