C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2005-10-06 03:04:35

TalW

Looking for a GOOD Mk III or Mk IV in Ontario

So it's finally happened!  After six years of competing in the LSIS interclub racing series on Lake Simcoe on our Mk III Critical Path, someone else up here's finally interested in finding one to add to our mixed PHRF fleet.

For those who aren't familiar with Lake Simcoe, while we've had more than our fair share of windy days over the last few years, our sailing conditions are typically light winds (<10 knots) and flat water, and since our LSIS series includes several point-to-point distance races, the wind often goes quite light for some time during the race, allowing us with our (relatively) tall rigs and (relatively) slow ratings to make hay, particularly with the fleet of several C&C 27 Mk V's.

So, does anyone know of a (hopefully) race-equipped and relatively clean Mk III or IV for sale in Ontario?  This potential buyer's very concerned about the deck conditions of older C&C's (he's seen what we went through with our boat - check out "Deck Repairs" in the "Black Arts" section!), so fixer-uppers need not apply.

If there's one at your club or anywhere else, please drop me a note or reply here.

Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Tal Wolf
Critical Path
1976 C&C 27 Mk III #632

#2 2005-10-06 10:02:58

Re: Looking for a GOOD Mk III or Mk IV in Ontario

I would be very surprised if you can find ANY balsa cored decked seventies boat that does not have deck/cabin top delamination to some degree. It would be a shame to eliminate prospective boats that could be fixed with a little sweat equity and few $$'s. Find a surveyor who knows how to interpret a moisture meter reading, or preferably, uses percussion testing to identify delamination. One must differentiate between wet core and rotten core.
Bob Honsberger
Burlington
Former owner of "Budge"  Mk.2  #322

#3 2005-10-08 11:41:58

Tal...
You finally admit that your rating is wrong!
Pat Wachholz
Ghost

#4 2005-10-08 13:20:29

TalW

Howdy Pat!  I figured my comments'd bring someone from the Mk V brigade out!

Don't recall admitting the Mk III's rating's wrong, but I suppose since there's only 46 of them with active PHRF-LO certificates anything's possible...

There's 23 Mk V IB's and 4 Mk V OB's with certificates too - I presume they're rated OK?

Yep, I think that in the LSIS spinnaker division Critical Path has a good shot at long distance races, but that's as much due to the fact we're the slowest-rated boat in the fleet as it is to the advantages we've enjoyed in the conditions so classically illustrated in LSIS #8 the last two years.  On the other hand, we don't exactly smoke the fleet in the puffy stuff, do we?  Somedays you're hot, somedays you're not - it's the PHRF mantra!

So c'mon, if 12 seconds is the wrong number, how's about suggesting what you think the delta should be between the Mk V (a 1984 design somewhat influenced by MORC), and the Mk III (a 1974 redesign of the 1970 original classic racer/cruiser).  6 seconds?  Level?  Are you suggesting Rob Ball didn't get it right the last time round?

I love sailing against newer and "hotter" designs in our fleet, and the suggestion our rating's wrong always makes me smile - truly the kindest form of flattery there is to a racing sailor!

Our haulout's next weekend - your's too, right?

Cheers,
Tal Wolf
Critical Path
C&C 27 Mk III #632

Board footer