C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-10-28 17:20:47

Frank Marsden

MK I rudder summary

I have a Trapper 500, which, for this issue, is a MK I
The handling of the boat under sail and power is excellent.
The loads on the tiller are quite high, but not excessive.
I find the tiller marginally too long.
However, the problem I have is that the rudder, like a shopping trolley, has a mind of it's own. It is not possible to let go of the tiller for a second or two without the boat going off course. This is dramatic under power.
I initially thought that this was due to too much hydrodynamic balance. and that the solution would be to fit a MK III rudder; I am now not so sure.
I am thinking that the rudder behavior, on my boat, is caused by it's proximity to a large fixed three blade prop, which has insufficient tip clearance, and that this is causing the rudder to move, not only under power, but also when sailing. My previous boat was a Hustler 25.5, of similar lines to the 27, but with a small two blade prop much further away from the transom mounted rudder. This had similar weather helm, but would go much further before rounding up into wind.
The boat would be improved by a MK III rudder, but would the characterisic still be present?
Actions?
1/ Fit a Tiller Tamer. (Davis)
2/ Fit a two blade folding prop.(Gori or Flex-o-Fold)
3/ Add a tiller pilot, (Simrad TP 10)
Only then contemplate a new rudder, MK III or similar.
Frank Marsden

Board footer