C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-07-08 07:48:00

dzeilstra

MkV steering wheel maintainance

I have a MkV with wheel steering.  The steering is little "sticky" and takes more force to move the rudder than I'd like.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of loose play.  Can anyone explain how this steering system works, what the issue might be, or advice on maintainance to improve performance?
Thanks,
Don

#2 2007-07-09 12:10:14

Re: MkV steering wheel maintainance

I had same kind of problem when I bought my boat two years ago. She's a 1985 MkV with Edson steering system. Wheel was very hard to move and noisy. To fix the problem, I had to completely remove and clean the "linear actuator" (the device that is fixed to the stern and which
transmits movement to rudder).
There is a rubber boot covering the moving "stick" outside the boat.On my boat it was teared, so salted water has entered and dried in mechanism. This was the cause of my problem. I disassembled the device, cleaned it, and replaced it after some lubrication with
teflon grease. It now work like a new.

Note that your problem may also originate from other part of the system, as from wheel shaft. It require some maintenance.

I've made the hypothesis that your boat is equipped with Edson system.
If this is the case, you can contact people at Edson. They may help you to fix the problem.

Regards.

#3 2008-04-16 10:30:09

dzeilstra

Re: MkV steering wheel maintainance

Quick update on how the problem was resolved.  After taking the system apart and lubing and adjusting cables, it turns out the major cause of the problem was a bent linear actuator.  Probably someone prior to my ownership used it as a ladder step!

Don

Board footer