C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-04-25 03:03:34

jpmarshall

Asymmetric Spinnaker

Greetings All

As I brush the latest blast of winter fury off of Hotel California, I am beginning to think about using an Asymetric Spinnaker this summer for ease of use with rotating crew members during Wednesday night races.  Has anyone rigged one and have some helpful hints?  It appears that we would have to use an "inside" jibe as there is limited attachment points in front of the foresaty.  I do not have roller furling.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Marshall's
Hotel California
1979 Mk III
Dryden,  Ontario

Last edited by (2008-04-25 06:59:26)

The Marshall's
Hotel California
1979 Mk III
Dryden, ; Ontario

#2 2008-04-25 04:04:15

fredbutler

Re: Asymmetric Spinnaker

If you have a spinnaker halyard, you will be able to gyb with the sail flying forward of the forestay. I you are using a genny halyard, you will find it necessary to gyp the sail inside the forestay. If you try to gyp outside with a genny halyard, the halyard at the top will tty to tangle and you will have problems you won't want.

It is not a good idea to fly any spinnaker, cruising, asymeterical or standard pole type from a genny halyard. The spinnaker moves around a lot more at the top than does a genny and that extra movement will damage the genny sheaves.

Whether or not you have roller furling shouldn't matter except that if you try to roll the sail and the spinnaker and/or its halyard  too close to the genny at the top, the spinnaker halyard will try to wrap, another problem that would suggest a genuine spinnaker halyard.

I used to own a C&C27 "Lark" (it's in C&C27 Tales) but went to a C&C34 a few years ago. But I still enjoy checking in on the Forum column once in a  while. I sometimes get info that is generic to many if not all sailboats and, since I still have a soft spot for the 27, its just kind of enjoyable.

Fred (OKA-LEE)

Last edited by (2008-04-25 06:59:08)

#3 2008-04-26 00:32:14

JWente

check the internet for Asm gybing techniques - Sailing World had an article a few issues back - I have never flown one, but I believe the gybe is done by floating the clew around front of the luff - so room beteen the luff & the forestay is not an issue.

Jim W

#4 2008-04-27 08:00:14

Ronan

We use one on our Trapper 500 (UK built version of the C&C27). It is a very effective reaching sail, but once onto a broad reach, it starts to be blanketed quite a bit and is hard to fill on a run.

Gybing is actually tricky, either inside (between luff and forestay - this is what we do) or outside (around the front, need longer sheets). This needs practice and we still often mess up. It should definitely be flown in front of the Genoa though. I run the downhaul back to the cockpit - it pays to let the foot up when off a close reach. Flying it is like a conventional spinnaker - keep each the sheet until you get some luff curl, don't oversheet. We have regularly flown it with just two of us onboard, even for round the cans club racing - though not when windy. We normally hoist and drop behind the furling jib - no real problems there. It is probably faster than my conventional kite on a true reach - and certainly much easier to set. Excellent for cruising - you can sheet it and forget about it.

#5 2008-04-28 00:37:06

on a somewhat related theme, any comments on the use of a genniker? my Mark V came with one (with a sock so it is easy to fly and to furl). It seems that the clew is attached at the bow with a strap-about a foot long. I have not tried jibing-but Iit is obvious you treat it like a jib, not a spinnaker?

So far the sail seems like a big genoa except that I lead the sheet to a block at the stern and I cannot go higher than a beam reachcopasetic

Board footer