C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-11-07 08:00:44

Dave O

Deck Repairs

I have some portions of my cored deck which are wet and require repair.  The worst is around the stern rail.  At this time I prefer not to go to the expense of removing the deck and replacing the core, but instead will rebed the stern rail fittings to slow down water entry.

However, I am concerned about new water entry through the deck where there are very fine spiderweb like cracks that lead from the deck fittings.

Can anyone tell me if these very fine cracks will allow water entry?

This is a C&C 29 Mark I by the way, so I hope you don't mind but I find the advice on this site very useful.

Thanks

Dave O

C&C 29 Mark I

Port Credit, ON

#2 2008-11-07 10:56:21

Brent

Re: Deck Repairs

I have read that a wet balsa cored deck is as structurally sound as a dry deck. The problem occurs once the laminate starts to come apart which is usually the next step when the core is wet. Now structure is compromised. If air is added you get rot and the strength is gone. You can drill and fill to re-bed the rail but once the water is in the core its almost impossible to remove without taking the deck apart. It WILL delaminate eventually.

Those cracks may just be in the gelcoat but a good way to tell if its deeper is to use some of that Captain Tolly's creeping crack cure. If you squirt lots into the cracks and it never seems to fill up that indicates its gone through to the core.

Good luck
Brent D

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

Board footer