C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-11-16 05:22:50

Dave O

Thru-Hull and Seacock

Presently I have a 1/2" thru-hull fitting that terminates in a 1/2" gate valve.  This feeds raw water cooling to the inlet of the water pump.

I would like to change the gate valve to a new seacock (a ball valve with an integral flange that bolts to the hull for added strength and safety).  However, I am having trouble finding a seacock in 1/2" size.  Most (perhaps all?) start at 3/4".  Groco is an example.

Does anyone know where I can find a seacock (with flange) in 1/2"?  I do not want to use a standard ball valve.  Apparently there is a safety issue mating the NPS threads of the thru-hull to the NPT threads used in most ball valves.

#2 2008-11-16 07:10:58

windyday

Re: Thru-Hull and Seacock

I went through this all summer. Finally realized the best solution is a 3/4" seacock/throughull/tailpipe. Just use stepdown bushings to get to half inch hose after the inline strainer, if you use one.

---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#3 2008-11-17 02:53:01

carriden

Re: Thru-Hull and Seacock

3 years ago I replaced all of the seacocks on Carriden with Marelon ball units.  When it came to the water intake for the engine, I deliberately upsized it to a three-quarter inch valve so that it would be ready in case I ever need to repower with diesel, all of which apparently need the larger opening.  I then ran the three-quarter inch hose to a Marelon water strainer, which clears all of my intake water, and then ran a half-inch hose from the strainer to the water pump.  This system has worked flawlessly for three seasons now.Marcus from Carriden
Mk III, Hull #847

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

Board footer