C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-12-23 04:58:08

capricous

keel

I noticed today,while looking at the boat,and dreaming of going for a nice sail out of Salem sound,that there was rust streaking down from the rear of the keel. Is that(does anyone know) from a support of the lead,and should it be seperately addressed in the spring?

Thanks and Merry Xmas

Dana
Capricous Hull #599

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

#2 2008-12-24 02:56:55

carriden

Re: keel

Hey Dana,

Back when I had my C&C 25 (a great boat), I had something similar happen with its keel.  There were some unusual raised areas, like bubbles or blisters, on the surface of the keel.  One spring I decided to try and smooth them out, as part of an overall bottom cleanup.  When I started sanding the bubbles down, they opened up to reveal pockets of rust.  Once I cleaned these pockets out and filled them with epoxy, there were no further problems.

The pockets of rust were apparently the result of impurities in the keel casting, where bits of steel or cast iron had become included in the lead used to mold the keel.  Where these impurities were close enough to the surface to be reached by moisture, they would corrode and expand, causing the blisters.  In theory, Capricious' keel should be lead with some antimony added for strength and your keel bolts should be marine grade stainless steel.  Since I have never heard anyone accuse C&C of stinting on the keel bolts, I would assume that you may also have encountered some impurities in your keel casting.  Can you access the area showing corrosion in order to open it up?  Based on my experience, this is likely to be something minor so don't get upset until you have a real reason.

Have a wonderful Christmas!Marcus from Carriden
Mk III, Hull #847

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2008-12-24 03:35:26

capricous

Re: keel

Thanks Marcus

My keel has some pockets that I have been trying(successfully) to smooth out,thought not in the area with rust. Youre dissimalier metal idea makes perfect sense,and I will dble check it in the spring. Again thanks and happy holidays   
Capricous Hull #599

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

Board footer