C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-01-10 03:54:21

Brent

Bottom paint quantity etc.

Greetings and happy new year C&C community.

Along with my colossal re-build list this spring I plan to apply a barrier coat to Wild Rover's hull and a coat of VC 17. Anyone there know what quantity I need of each for a MkV hull?

As well next year I'm going to do the topsides too. How much topside paint such as Interlux's two part polyurethane does one require?

Brent D

C&C 27 MkV #15

[Sanding/stripping of bottoms was an active topic a few years back. Use "Search" and terms like "barrier", "strip" and "interprotect" to find others' experiences and suggestions. - Admin]

Last edited by (2009-01-10 06:17:02)

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#2 2009-01-10 04:26:07

Re: Bottom paint quantity etc.

Brent;  LAst year I striped Gemini (27, Mark V) and redid the hual. I put on four (4) coats of barrier paint and 1 top coat (Balto-plate).  Each coat took one gallon.  Petit recommends at least 4 coats for barrier.  That is right.  Most of us in the yard who do our own work, put on 4 coats, alternating colors (gray/white) to see what you have done.  It is a job, but well worth it when it is done!

#3 2009-01-10 08:59:46

windyday

I'm glad to get the 4-gallon confirmation. Here is my estimate for the order I just put in for Interlux Interprotect for our Mark II: overall length x beam x 85% = wetted surface area (better to actually measure it). Divide that by 60 for brushing to get gallons required to reach 10 mil thickness = 27.3 x 9.18 x 0.85 - 213.02/0.6 = 3.6 gallons = 4 gallons. I ordered two of white and two of gray.

---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#4 2009-01-10 09:01:06

windyday

Brent, when you say topside, do you mean the hull above the waterline to the toe rail, or do you mean the deck/coach roof/cockpit?

---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#5 2009-01-10 09:46:57

Brent

Hi and thanks for the replys.

By topsides I meant the hull above the waterline...not the deck.
Brent D

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#6 2009-01-11 22:59:26

Hi, I'd put VC17 on my hull ( MV 1985 ). You will need 1 liters/coat ( 1 can in fact ). But don't put the mix into a pan because it will evaporate in a minute. Instead use an empty plastic bottle like dishwashing liquid, and then pour directly on your paint roller ( a small one, 4 inches wide ). With this method, only one liter will be enough by coat.

Jean Rivest,
Sorel-Tracy

[Alternatively, you can simply put your VC-17 in the freezer overnight and take it to the boat in a cooler. When cold, VC-17 loses its extreme volatility, so you can roll it out like normal paint. It also helps to paint early on a morning with little wind. Finally, don't throw away your tray and roller when you're done. VC-17 is based on a fast-acting solvent, so last year's roller will be ready to use seconds after you dip it in paint - and you don't have to worry about the lint that always comes out of new rollers (even the "lint-free" ones). - Admin]

Last edited by (2009-01-11 23:43:42)

#7 2009-01-15 13:23:07

Brent

Thanks all. Great advice. Now if only the stupid cold front would go away and winter come to a quick end I could get going on my obsession/project. I can't wait to sail her!

S/V Wild Rover
Brent D

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#8 2009-01-20 11:41:15

clanning

I love those VC17 tips -- both the squeeze bottle and the freezer tips -- thanks!
Chuck Lanning

NSC, Ottawa

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

Board footer