C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-01-20 10:07:40

windyday

Original nonskid on C&C 27 Mark II?

Does anyone know what the original nonskid deck surface was on a 1974 Mark II C&C 27? I sanded off the stippled nonskid that may have been applied later. The only place I found traces of old diamond under the stippling was in the floor of the cockpit.

---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

Last edited by (2009-01-20 20:15:34)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#2 2009-01-21 02:49:25

carriden

Re: Original nonskid on C&C 27 Mark II?

The stippled (or rippled) non-skid was the original non-skid surface.  This surface was pioneered by C&C and became a part of their "signature" appearance.  In 35 years of sailing on many different C&C's, I have never encountered a "diamond-pattern" non-skid on any of them.
Back to your original question:  the rippled C&C non-skid can be recreated by thickening the gelcoat mixture with colloidal silica (often called Cabocil).  Once the mixture is thickened to the point that it will stand up in little peaks (like a soft peanut butter), it can be rolled on over the underlying smooth gelcoat.  A small, short-nap roller is necessary for the application.  It is best to give the underlying gelcoat a sanding first, in order to roughen the surface and provide the non-skid gelcoat with something to grip.  An 80-grit usually provides a good bond.  Alternatively, if you apply the non-skid coat soon enough after the smooth coat (ie. before it is fully cured), you may be able to achieve an even stronger chemical bond between the layers, without sanding.  Mask off the smooth areas and the borders with a really good-quality tape before applying the non-skid coat.  Needless to say, you cannot put a sealing layer of plastic over the non-skid while it cures, as this would smooth and flatten out the non-skid, defeating the purpose of the exercise.  I have even known this process to be so successful that the new non-skid finish required a light sanding to keep it from being too sharp and aggressive.
Hope that this helps,Marcus from Carriden
Mk III, Hull #847

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2009-01-21 10:25:51

windyday

Thanks for that, Marcus. I'm thinking of Interlux Pre-Kote followed by Interdeck on the nonskid areas.

---------

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#4 2009-01-22 02:18:43

carriden

A buddy of mine refinished the deck of his C&C 27 with Interdeck last year.  So far it looks good and is working well.  Of course, it's only been for one season now, so the jury is still out.  Good luck!Marcus from Carriden
Mk III, Hull #847

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#5 2009-01-22 20:46:40

windyday

A friend used Interdeck 2-3 years ago and it's doing well. A colleague used it 7 years ago on a similar boat and says it is fine. Won't be near as permanent as the original stippled gelcoat obviously was, but then neither am I.

---------

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer