C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-04-03 19:06:57

windyday

7/8" stanchion roller furling fairleads and blocks

I have to decide whether to shim my old 7/8" stanchions to fit the new 1" stanchion bases, or simply upgrade to new 1" stanchions. One of the factors in the decision is that stanchion-mounted fairleads and blocks for the roller furling line and other hardware that might attach to the stanchions only appear to only come in 1" models these days. Is 7/8' rigging hardware really this hard to find?

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#2 2009-04-04 00:46:23

carriden

Re: 7/8" stanchion roller furling fairleads and blocks

Hey Windy,

I use the Spinlock Stainless Bulls-eye fairleads on my stanchions to handle the furling line.  Although these fairleads are moulded for 1-inch stanchions, they are supplied with moulded plastic liner sleeves which allow them to fit properly onto 7/8-inch stanchions.  My forward fairlead is a proper rolling sheave, also from Spinlock, which allows me to adjust the angle of the block leading into the furling drum.  It too came with the plastic sleeves.  As a solution, these may be worth looking into.

Alternatively, I wrote in another posting in this forum about using 1-inch stainless tube with a 7/8-inch inner diameter to sleeve the bottom 4 inches of my stanchions back when I was retrofitting my C&C 25.  The bonus in that approach was that the additional 1-inch diameter tubing extended more than 2 inches above the stanchion bases, not only reinforcing the stanchions at their weakest point but also providing a 1-inch diameter anchoring point for fairleads, pole mounts, etc.

At any rate, that's how I have dealt with this issue in the past.  Hope it helps.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

Board footer