C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-06-01 01:05:50

Mk V sliding door to head

Hi folks,

Can anyone offer advice on how to free up a jammed sliding door to the head area? Oddly enough it worked when I purchased the boat (on her trailer) but something must have shifted during transport and launching. I thought I'd leave it until the mast was up and rig tuned (somewhat) -- just in case any slight flexing in the hull might cause it to slide free once again but no dice.

I can't seem to see what's preventing it from sliding nor can I figure out how the door can be removed from the slides that it's supposed to run on in order to inspect the track...

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Robert
C&C 27MK V #18 "Skylark"
Lake Winnipeg

#2 2004-06-01 06:26:28

Re: Mk V sliding door to head

If C&C continued to use the same slider hardware that the Mklll has it is pretty  simple... Look on the top of the door and at each end you will see a thumbwheel... turn it and the door will either rise or lower.... that that point to should be able to figure out where it is binding and adjust accordingly

"IRIS"
1975 C&C 27 MKlll
Hull No. 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2004-06-01 12:19:53

Robert, the same sliding door on my MkV is very "reluctant" to move but not toally jammed.  I haven't gotten around to fixing this yet, but a quick examination I did last year made me think that the alignment of the upper and lower tracks that this door runs on was not right.  I was able to improve the situation by slightly loosening the screws that secure the tracks, allowing some mobility of the tracks, but this is a makeshift temporary fix at best.  You are probably correct that the cause is some shifting of the bulkhead.  I am curious if other MkV owners have had a similar problem.
Bob, MkV Heatwave

Last edited by (2004-06-01 12:38:27)

#4 2004-06-01 13:22:00

Thanks for the responses.

Bob, I've looked hard to see if there's a spot in the track that the door can be removed -- along the lines of some types of closets or sliding shower doors. I can't find any such spot. I think they must have hung the door on the bulkhead, put it into the hull and then added the deck!

I hope someone will pass along the secret.

Cheers,

Robert
Mk V #18 "Skylark"
Lake Winnipeg

#5 2004-06-02 01:44:19

Not sure if your boat was rigged when the sliding door worked great and then it didn't work so well when the boat was rigged, if this is the case, I would loosen off the rig tension and see what happens.
Bob Wilson

#6 2004-06-04 12:51:29

I had my door off this spring.  There are four plastic sliders (two top and bottom) running in the stainless tracks.  On my boat the screws holding the sliders came loose, and they jammed.  I took the whole mess off - tracks and all.  Then I thru bolted the sliders to the door, and remounted.  You have to fit the sliders in the track, then mount the track, door and all.  Awkward, but it can be done.

JIm

#7 2004-10-06 08:09:55

Apologies for joining this debate so long after your initial posting but I thought I'd share my experience. Although Santiva is a MkIII, I opted to get rid of the sliding door altogether. Not only did it jam, I also whacked my head more than once on the wood trip covering the track. Removal of the door gave me about 1.5" of additional elbow room and, when I removed the track and related trim, an additional 1.5" of headroom at that location. A simple curtain addresses any need for privacy.

Board footer