C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-08-20 08:12:37

Brent

Yanmar issue

Greetings all

My Mk5 is equipped with the trustworthy 1GM10 by Yanmar. Since I bought the boat a year ago it has been perfect until the moment I was leaving the harbour for my first race and would not start. I quickly traced the problem to the engine stop lever not returning properly after the cable has been reset. The lever appears to have a coiled spring wrapped around it but perhaps after 25 years it has gotten a little tired and cannot push the lever back. Now each time I stop the engine I quickly jump below, pull off the steps and reset the lever by hand. A little annoying. The lever is welded to a small shaft that goes into the engine so I cannot see how to take it apart to replace the spring. Anyone with an idea to jury-rig this lever or replace he spring I am all ears.

Other than that I have to admit that I am truly falling in love with my Mk5 and I am slowly forgetting about all the pain and toil of rebuilding her.
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#2 2009-08-23 09:53:33

Re: Yanmar issue

My shut off cable failed last year - it was getting hard to pull, then wouldn't push back in.  Finally it "pulled out" and left the engine running.  On the hard when testing just prior to launch.  I found the shut off lever you are talling about really fast!

I got a new cable through a local diesel shop that also services yanmar - I suspect you can have a new spring ordered.  Untill then you may be able to jury rig a thin wire or line from the lever back to the shifter and throttle leverage assembly area inside the locker - just open the locker and yank the wire/line.  Handier than going below all the time.

Barry  Oasis, 1987 Mk V

Board footer