C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-12-07 03:34:08

dmoores

Topsides Restoration

The topsides on my MK V are nice and shiny but the colour is a bit patchy - looks like the result of an earlier buffing not done consistently???  Regular cleaner/wax does not clear it, but I am nervous about those products that are for "heavily oxidized" gelcoat.  Can anyone share eexperience/product recoomendations/techniques?

#2 2009-12-07 06:51:42

ALAN FORD

Re: Topsides Restoration

Dave, I'll await the replies you receive as Smoke's finish is not as good as yours. I looked at your boat and trailer ( near new.....) yesterday and when you get the answer we will attack our hulls almost alongside each other in the Spring. I am about 60 metres West of you, nearest to and parallel to the water, covered in a blue tarp with the rudder wrapped in the excess tarp and bungee corded. 6 foot stepladder locked to cradle and SMOKE name in many places.
Awaiting help....

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#3 2009-12-07 07:11:31

dmoores

Sure enough Alan.  Are you a new owner like myself?  I saw Smoke for sale earlier in the Fall, assume you bought?  See you down there!

#4 2009-12-07 09:05:33

ALAN FORD

Yes Dave, new to C&C's as well, come from Etchells..........and indeed I bought her in September. See you soon, perhaps for a sip at BHYC where I am a (new) member.

#5 2009-12-07 10:44:25

dmoores

Good plan, Alan!  905 825 1408

#6 2009-12-07 20:05:34

windyday

I restored the original gelcoat on our old C&C 27 with careful washing, then dewaxing, then 3M compounding, then polish, then wax. Came out great.

There are a lot of important tricks. I got plenty of conflicting advice. Pays to talk to a pro, and there are some good websites around.

One key: a good power tool. I wasted money on two cheaper ones before biting the bullet and spending the money I should have spent first time.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#7 2009-12-07 23:35:57

dmoores

Thanks Windy.  What tool did you buy?  You mentioned some important tricks - would you care to share your "top 3" ?

#8 2009-12-08 07:16:02

windyday

I think this is the polisher: http://www.detailingsupplies.net/Car_Buffer_p/buf_101.htm. I hesitate to recommend products or give advice because I am such a raw amateur (3rd boat, but that does not make me an expert), which is why I suggest visiting a specialty shop and talking with someone who does or did it for a living. Important to wash the boat well, and use some kind of dewaxer, (like maybe TSP??) so as not to buff dirt deeper. I used 3M products: see their website. Important to use the right pads on the polisher for each stage (compounding, polishing, wax application and buffing). Don't wash the polishing pads with detergent: residue is hard on the wax. I compounded using a product with no wax in it so I could strip the old wax along with a teeny hair of gelcoat surface. Be very careful there. The compounded gelcoat will not be all that shiny, so that's why they polish next, again using a product without wax. Then wax. But be careful with all this advice: I have very little experience with this, and restoring gelcoat is definitely a combination art and science. Read on.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#9 2009-12-08 11:00:48

dmoores

Thanks again for that info.

#10 2009-12-08 12:26:37

ALAN FORD

It seems the choice of a polishing tool is between the Hitachi which is mentioned, or the Makita 9227C. Both 7 inch, both variable speed, both about C$250, and used ones hiding somewhere beyond my searching effort...Or is there a simpler solution? Rental maybe?

With time on our side perhaps some other owners with their perfectly beautiful hulls will share with us what they used to such good effect? Please. And what products they have used to obtain that mirror-like and hardy finish.
Thank you.

Last edited by (2009-12-08 21:40:21)

#11 2009-12-10 02:03:25

carriden

Alan, you can rent a polisher for the day from Stephenson Rentals on Speers Road in Oakville.  Way cheaper!  However, buy your polishing pads from Canadian Tire or Home Depot.  Stephenson's charges way too much.  I also recommend using "3M™ Imperial™ Compound and Finishing Material", which I was put on to by Jimmy Pollock at North Shore Boat Works.  It cuts, cleans and compounds all in one application.  The only other thing that you have to do is apply wax.  The 3M compound is available from Bristol Marine in Port Credit.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#12 2009-12-10 04:55:49

ALAN FORD

Marcus, many thanks for that guidance, it is just what I was hoping to receive. " My new mistress " ( your words ) will look just splendid after some effort when the weather improves, but that does not mean I am a "type 2 owner ", ( again your words )......

#13 2010-02-07 07:20:56

foroadmin
Administrator

Bumped forward.
- Admin

#14 2010-02-07 23:37:15

The information was very informative.
3M compound, 3M polish, 3M wax, and delicate use of a quality buffer, is the recommended choice of the experts.
The 3M Ultra Paste Wax $30.45 promises "Long-lasting UV protection. Exceptional Durability, High-gloss, Wet-Look finish.
I can't wait to get started.

Board footer