C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-03-03 11:10:00

ALAN FORD

Spreaders Mk V

After renovating my spreaders I again read the "Tuning the Rig, Mk V " section of Black Arts and suspect that the end pieces of Smoke's spreaders are unlike other Mk V's. ( It may be the 'prototype problem' again?). Mine have a single slot in the end piece, through which both uppers and intermediates are led. The Black Arts advises to have the uppers use the aft slot, so the intemediates use the forward slot. The effect is to induce pre-bend.
Now my spreaders have a channel running inside their full length, in which there is a 'slug' inseted at the outer end. which takes the wear and stress of the shrouds. I thought it might be possible to simply change the end fitting, but that would require two of the 'slugs' and that in turn might involve a complete change of the spreaders.
Perhaps I should stay with what I have, but would other Mk V owners help me please?
Thanks
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#2 2010-03-04 03:16:08

Tonyj

Re: Spreaders Mk V

Hi Alan:
My 1985 MkV #581, has the same slot and slug arrangement as SMOKE.  I don't think moving the shroud 1/4" forward is going to help mast bend very much.  I'm mentally imagining the force vectors involved.  Since the shrouds still join the chainplate in line on the deck, the slight forward force generated by moving the shroud ahead at the spreader  is brought back to where it was back at the deck, isn't it?  All I can envision happening is a slight rearward force on the tip of the spreader.
I would think tension on the baby stay would do more to promote mast bend.  I'd vote for leaving it as is.
Happy Tuning,
Tony Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS 

#3 2010-03-04 10:32:33

JWente

Smoke is the fastest MKV known to man.  I would reccomend:
- leave the spreaders alone
- set up the rig tension in the spring according to the tuning guide
- come down to EYC and look at SKW or DT and check our set up and mast bend
- go back and adjust Smoke if required.

#4 2010-03-04 10:58:57

ALAN FORD

Jim and Tony, thanks for your advice, I'll leave my spreaders as I found them. And Jim, yes, I will head to EYC once we are all afloat in a few weeks, and try to learn from SKW and DT's set-up. Thanks, that's one less thing for me to 'worry about'.

#5 2010-03-04 11:43:14

JWente

and while you are at EYC we'll just adjust SKW to make sure the mast is tilted to one side by a few derees

#6 2010-03-05 00:39:27

Steve Reid

Jim, if you think that all it will take to slow down SKW, is adjusting the rig so the mast leans a little more to one side than the other "bring it on", old buddy.
All kidding aside, Allen or any other Mark V owner out there come on down to EYC and feel free to check out DT or SKW, we're more than willing to help you anyway we can, till you start beating us that is.
Just a comment regarding using the Baby Stay to induce mast bend or pre-bend - DON'T DO IT!!!!!. The baby stay was never intended for that purpose. It's there to prevent mast pumping and not much more than that. Loading up the baby stay will result in creating leaks in the cabin top around the chain plate. On Still Knot Working we seldome have the baby stay connected, last summer I can only recall once or twice dureing a race where it was attached to it's chain plate and tensioned.

Steve Reid Still Knot Working #75

#7 2010-03-05 01:08:35

Tonyj

Hi Steve:
Thanks for the input on the baby stay.  Inasmuch as jibing the spinnaker pole around the baby stay is a hassle, I'm glad to find out that it doesn't need to be constantly connected.  How do you stow the disconnected baby stay?
Regards,
Tony Jeske

#8 2010-03-05 03:56:23

Steve Reid

Tony:

We have a 3:1 block system with a cam cleat on the lower block and a swivel snap shakel to attach to the chain plate, attached to the bottom end of the baby stay.
When not in use we just attach the snap shakel to the base of the mast at the step.

Steve

#9 2010-03-05 11:24:12

JWente

on DT we do the same - in flat water, baby stay is clipped to the mast.

#10 2010-03-05 12:01:50

ALAN FORD

That is good news that the baby stay is only needed when the wind really picks up. I will follow the lead of SKW and DT, snap shackle it to the foot of the mast when not needed. That baby stay is one more rough obstacle for the number 3 to drag around as you tack. and having followed DT's urging I will have a new laminate 155% in a while, so am rather sensitive to anything that might bruise it !!
Perhaps I should start a new thread, but as I have never had any laminate sails before, would all those with years of experience in their love and care please guide me in their handling when racing and at rest. Both genny and main please, as I took a deep breath, stopped eating, looked again at what I had, and took the plunge.
It's not so much the trimming of them while sailing, I'll work on that on the water, but as they will be less happy at being man-( or woman) handled in a rude way, I need your help to avoid killing them in week one.
Thanks

#11 2010-03-07 02:21:36

JWente

Hi
laminates - like all sails - deteriorate when flogged, tacked, etc.  So sail without jib up if you are hanging around the satrt area, try not to stuff down the hatch too often, and don't walk on them.  The #1 is too big to roll, so just flake it like any sail, try to avoid flaking on the same crease every time.

Board footer