C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-03-26 22:27:12

Electric Motor Power

A national sail magazine recently published a story about installing an electric motor to replace the gas/diesel engine.
The electric engine is designed in the form of a pod about 12 inches long and bolted to the exterior of the hull in the space of the drive shaft and propellor.
aloha

#2 2010-03-27 08:10:27

pura vida

Re: Electric Motor Power

I looked into electric motors and could not find one that had a reasonable combination of price, power and durablility. I think Lagoon tried a generator electric, but it was an expensive addition to an already expensive boat. If I try to go even more green than a sailboat I think the solution is to put bio-diesel in my existing yanmar 2GM. Fortunately Willie Nelson is spending some of this music earnings by sponsoring a bio-deisel refinery near Houston. I'm still running on a tank of fuel that I put in several years ago.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#3 2010-03-27 08:55:04

Steve Reid

Mike:

I'd sure be careful and look into all of the downside of biodiesel. It may be "green" but it got it's problems especially when it comes to the marine environment. One things for sure you won't want to let a tank full of of biodiesel sit in you tank for a year or more. I think that as sailors our carbon foot print is already pretty small and if we concentrate on how we dispose of our garbage, seperate our recyclables and what happens when we refinish our bottoms, thesmall amount of fuel we burn in a season is insignificant.

Steve

#4 2010-03-27 12:40:27

pura vida

Agreed, and I regret that I might sound like I was on the attack when I'm not. I bought Wind Horse in 2004 and that was the last time I put fuel in her. I'm surprised that she still runs on the old fuel, but it's about a mile from the slip to the bay so how much can I burn? The state just sold off shore wind rights which my birdwatching wife assures me will kill a lot of birds that winter in Mexico and summer in Canada. The only real solution is conservation.

best
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Board footer