C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-08-02 12:38:26

Doug

When to reduce head sail after reefing?

I had a terrific 10 hour run a week ago in 13-15 knots of wind.  It gusted to 18 - 20 knots what seemed like hundreds of times.  I had a reef in the main and left the furling head sail all the way out all the time.  It was a beam reach for most of the time with an off shore wind and less than 2 foot waves.  The boat sailed beautifully all day.  The boat could have gone on forever but my fatigue level was tested and now I know how much I can take. 
My question; given the design of a C&C 27 when should you consider reducing the head sail?  The power for the boat seems to come in most part from the head sail, and stability does not seem to be a problem up to the 20 knot point with the full head sail out.
I'm newer to the boat and would appreciate input from the more experianced.
Doug Heldman
Quicksilver C&C 27 III

Doug Heldman
Quicksilver C&C 27 III

#2 2004-08-02 22:33:54

Re: When to reduce head sail after reefing?

I am not going to answer your question directly, but rather tell you that the best the thing to do is experiment with different combinations of the reffed main or not with varying amounts of head sail.... giving those conditions that you described I would not have reefed, I would have used a strong amount of vang with the traveller down a bit to have the main flatter (you do not need twist in the main when on a beam reach) and changed down to a 110 jib..... the boat would sail flatter and gone just as fast if not faster with less wear and tear on you.

Experiment with the sail combinations.. you will learn a lot about this boat.

"IRIS"
1975 C&C MKlll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2004-08-03 10:08:03

Re: When to reduce head sail after reefing?

I'm having lots of fun with my "new" mk111----learning all about its good and bad habits----enjoying all the neat stuff one can do with sail combinations thanks to spiffy stuff like roller furling---jiffy reefing----and sail changes (the wife handles that foredeck stuff).
I still remember that "old guy" at the marina-----40 years ago------The best time to reef is:  (1)  When you first think about it----or---(2)  Just prior to leaving the dock.

Board footer