C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-08-04 22:39:16

Hugh Morrin

Trucking Company & Customs Broker Recommendations

This post started as a reply to Jason Smyth's post "Looking to rent trailer or purchase</SPAN>" (<A href="http://www.cc27association.com/f3/toast/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=2&tid=577">http://www.cc27association.com/f3/toast/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=2&tid=577</A>). But I thought I would make it a separate post with a more relevant title.
We bought a MK III in Michigan this past spring and also considered buying a trailer to get it back, but in the end hired David Bratt of Kingston Yacht Haulage (888-389-1473; 613-389-1473). I spent a fair bit of time talking to David before contracting him, and he instilled confidence. We couldn't be there when he picked the boat up, but everything went very smoothly and the boat arrived right on schedule in fine shape. I would highly recommend David and Kingston Yacht Haulage. I believe David is the only driver, so you know with whom you'll be dealing. Cost for the ~1000 km trip to Ottawa was $2200 and there is no GST/PST on trans-border shipments. (That was also slightly less than the other quote I got.) David is down to the Toronto area regularly, and if you have some flexibility in schedule, he might be able to arrange a "haul-back" to reduce the cost. </SPAN>
David also referred us to a Customs Broker, Brent Smith of JW Smith (800-661-5840, X22; 905-542-7327; <A href="mailto:brent@jwsmith.com">brent@jwsmith.com</A>). I couldn't believe how simple it was to use a broker, and how smoothly the importation went. I'd also recommend Brent at JW Smith. Cost was $100 +GST.</SPAN>
If anyone wants any more details, they may contact me at <A href="mailto:cc27@magma.ca">cc27@magma.ca</A>.</SPAN>Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu
MK III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

#2 2004-08-06 03:21:08

Re: Trucking Company & Customs Broker Recommendations

I also used David without being there for the haulout.  I would recommend him.  Everything went very smoothly and we were quite impressed.

Paul.
Velero, MKIII

#3 2004-08-09 00:10:06

Re: Trucking Company & Customs Broker Recommendations

I highly recommend Dave as well. He moved my  '75 MkIII on its cradle from Ottawa to Windsor a couple of years ago. He kept the boat in his yard until he had a pickup in Ohio to make, to save me a dead-head charge. He knows how to move boats...
Gord Richardson
Aurora, South Port Sailing Club, Windsor

Board footer