C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-06-06 03:55:20

outdoor

Bathroom sink freshwater pump

I have a Whale angle freshwater hand pump in my 1975 C&C 27 MKIII

I need O rings since it is leaking.  I cannot find the specs anywhere for this pump, it is not manufactured any longer.

Any suggestions?

#2 2010-06-06 05:01:16

carriden

Re: Bathroom sink freshwater pump

The Whale Angled Freshwater Pump was not a particularly great solution in 1975 and 35 years have not improved it.  Even in '75, it was past being state of the art and we now have much better choices available, including the Whale Flipper freshwater pump.  In my last 2 C&C's, one of my first actions was to replace the old angled handpumps.  In my case, I opted for Whale footpumps, which actually leave my hands free for washing, etc.  However, for about the same money you can now go electric if you want.  If you decide to go with footpumps, beware the cheap Chinese knockoffs.
So, my recommendation is to ditch the old pump and replace it with something more functional.  I know that this is a bit more expensive, but it is a one-time cost and your satisfaction in using will more than outweigh the hit to your bank account.  If you really need to economize, you can contact Whale at www.whalepumps.com to see if they still offer rebuild kits, but my recollection is that they do not.  Still, the Irish do like to cling to tradition. . .   When I last rebuilt an angled pump 23 years ago, it used cork and rubber seals, not o-rings.  Has yours been updated?
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario
[Further to Marcus' comments about Chinese knockoffs, please read <a href="http://www.cc27association.com/fixes/imitations/imitations.html">this page</a>. It deals principally with knockoff rigging parts, but goes on to address other items and issues. - Admin]

Last edited by (2010-06-06 23:46:06)

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2010-06-06 05:11:44

ALAN FORD

Hey Outdoor,
If the seal you need is the one in the top of the pump through which the aluminum tube fits, I had the same problem. I found a plastic fitting which is normally used when routing a wire through a (plywood) bulkhead to avoid chafe. It has a small groove around the outer circumference into which the bulhead material fits, and a neat hole in the centre through which the wire would be routed.
This seal and the aluminum tube part of the tap is held down by a very firmly located plastic fitting. Slide the new "seal" onto the tube below the top fitting, press them into place, and not a single drop of water can escape!! At least in my experience so far.
I'll look at the details of the bit in question and let you know a more technical wording so you can find it a Home Depot! But not until tomorrow...

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002
I've just seen Marcus's reply and can confirm that it was the cork seal in the pump that had died on Smoke. My cost was about $1.99 plus tax

Last edited by (2010-06-06 05:16:52)

#4 2010-06-07 06:30:10

ALAN FORD

I now have the details.............
The units that I have used, and which have worked very well so far, are          "3/8 inch Hole Grommets".  Made by GB ( Gardner Bender). The GB part or package number is  GHG-1538. They come 5 units to a blister pack. I found them at Home Depot. I have used 2, so 3 remain. If you cannot find them I'll mail you some.
They look like a black "Lifesaver" candy.
Cheers

#5 2010-06-10 22:04:39

outdoor

Whale in fact does not manufacture this pump nor any parts to service it.  Perhaps the previous owner tried to use O rings himself since when I take the faucet out there were 2 o rings in there, however they were broken.  Whale did send me an original diagram and it shows there was a cork gasket I guess there.

Alan, thanks for the info, however mine is leaking through where the faucet pushes into the base.

#6 2010-06-12 22:36:03

windyday

I suspect that when the cork is gone, the old pump is done. I hauled out the two originals and replaced them with new Whale Galley Gusher pumps -- work like a charm.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer