C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-07-24 22:30:39

windyday

Anyone drop a C&C 27 keel?

I don't yet have enough reason to think I need to drop the keel to inspect the bolts and revise the joint, but it's stormy out so I am researching and making notes should that be necessary.

I searched the archives for "keel" and found no discussion of anyone's experience doing that with a C&C 27. Nothing with Google either, but there is a fair bit of discussion about the importance of revising the joint periodically on other boats, especially if there is any evidence that seawater is getting to the bolts (unexplained saltwater in the bilge, or signs of weeping at the keel joint after haulout, for example). The only way to check the bolts visually is to drop the keel and look at them.

1. Anyone had experience dropping the keel off a C&C 27 Mark I-II to revise that joint?
2. Anyone know how the C&C 27's keel bolts are embedded in the lead keel? Are they J? Can they be removed if one is corroded and needs replacing?
3. Ours each have small steel (not SS I don't think) plate under the nuts inside the boat, and a washer or two on top of that. Replace with SS if I can back the nuts off at retightening?
4. Did the forum settle the question of whether to back off and then tighten the forward nuts with the boat on the hard versus in the water?

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#2 2010-08-03 09:02:22

pura vida

Re: Anyone drop a C&C 27 keel?

You may want to track down Mike Lohr who posted here some time ago. He pulled his keel as part of some restoration work. Sadly it was stolen and sold for scrap. He may be able to provide you with some information.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Board footer