C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-11-21 09:54:18

windyday

Exhaust system history

Has anybody ever seen the C&C 27 exhaust system shown in the pictures in this post?
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29510
It is from a C&C 27 Mark I, and looks like it might even be original?

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#2 2010-12-04 01:41:34

KenPole

Re: Exhaust system history

For what this is worth, it doesn't look like any C&C 27 original installation I've ever seen in Marks I, II, II or IV, Atomics or diesel.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#3 2010-12-05 09:39:07

windyday

You've seen lots Ken, so perhaps it was a one-off. Nice unit.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#4 2010-12-05 10:49:19

Scott

It is original.  I’ve seen one on a ’72 (that is still in languishing in someone’s wooded lot) and on a bunch of other late 60’s and early 70’s A-4 installations in other boats such as Ericson, Pearson & Tartan.  I’ve read the discussion on the Moyer site regarding this and I disagree with the advise to keep/restore the exhaust system.  There have been significant safety and efficiency improvements in the last 30 years with regard to gas engine exhaust systems, to say nothing of the fact that this boat has spent some time in salt water and the interior of this system is questionable at best.  This fortunate new owner should avail himself of a new, safe, efficient exhaust system.  Scott Schoeler, MKIII, "Scot-Free"

Scott Schoeler, Hull 858, "Scot-Free"

#5 2010-12-05 21:31:23

windyday

Aside from age and decay issues and cost to build, what are some issues with the design concept?

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#6 2010-12-06 01:26:03

Scott

That designed system was installed in production style for several years and exists/remains in boats that are in use today, 30 – 40 years later.  Some are wrapped with a protective insulation for the hot side of the exhaust and others are not.  Specifically why the design concept was dropped from production installation, I don’t know.  In two cases that I inspected, I was permitted to run the engine with a carbon monoxide detector in the locker with the exhaust system.  The locker tested positive within seconds.  The issues you mention are the primary reasons for replacement.  The other issues involve the materials used, multiple connection points as sources for failure & leaks, and the location of every installation I’ve seen.  All have been located in a cockpit locker with everything from burned sail bags and melted fenders to anchors on top and tightly around and the exhaust system.  Modern systems have few connection points and strategically placed to mitigate leaks, tested and proven materials, and are installed in areas least likely to have equipment stowed on top of them.  In this case as well as most others like it, if the system was fully restored using current, approved exhaust materials and it could be more appropriately installed, it would be suitable.  But I'm not sure why anyone would do that.  The replacement installations I've seen are neater, cleaner and safer.Scott Schoeler, Hull 858, "Scot-Free"

Scott Schoeler, Hull 858, "Scot-Free"

#7 2010-12-06 08:47:14

windyday

Scott, Excellent info, thanks. It would be nice to find more details on an appropriate modern exhaust system design for the C&C 27. There are a couple of threads here, but still have a lot of questions.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer