C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-01-18 03:59:27

TBracken

Hand Starting the 2GM

I understand the older Yanmar 2GM's (standard on the Mk IV & V's) can be started with a crank handle if necessary. Does anyone have experience actually doing it? Posts on other sites seem to range from "very easy, no problem" to "impossible to actually do." Anyone have firsthand experience with our 27's? Anyone have a cranking handle they would like to sell?
-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#2 2011-01-22 05:13:10

sony2000

Re: Hand Starting the 2GM

Having started airplanes by hand, you can make a crank easily. With a 1/2 drive ratchet that is long enough for the area you are working in and socket that fits  the crankshaft (if it fits), you have a good chance. Weld a 6 inch handle on the end. If it starts, the ratchet should prevent you from smashing your hand against something.
Turn the engine slowly twice stopping when the piston is rising. From here speed is needed until past top dead center. Throttle set higher than idle.

#3 2011-01-25 20:30:00

TBracken

The shaft for the hand crank has two pins making a homemade version of the hand crank more challenging. Plus, if the boat/engine originally shipped with with the factory crank handle, I assume someone might just have one laying around collecting dust. It's at least worth asking about.
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#4 2011-01-31 21:25:54

I attended the Mack Boring Yanmar maintenance class, and purchased the hand crank handle while there. The instructor advised that starting my 3GM would be unlikely, but thought a 2 or 1 cyl was doable. He said to relieve the compression on all but one cylinder, and get the engine up to 300 r.p.m. to start it.
Best wishes
Will

#5 2011-02-01 02:47:58

TBracken

Will, Thanks for the reply. I knew to releave the compression levers but did not know 300 was the target RPM. Have you attempted to use the hand crank handle to start your 3GM? Any success?
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#6 2011-02-01 06:06:28

Jeff

I haven't yet had the opportunity to start my 2GM with a key, let alone with a crank, but the previous owner was very good at keeping quite a bit of paperwork.  The Yanmar 1GM, 2GM, 3GMD, 3GHM manual states the following regarding manual starting:
Pull the engine warm up knob and place the control lever in the "FULL SPEED" position.
And also place the starter key in the "ON" position in order to charge the battery after engine starts.
Raise the decompression handle to the "NO COMPRESSION" position.
Attach the starter handle with priming shaft as the angle shown in the figure and turn the starting handle hard, 5-6 times, and if the flywheel gains momentum....
Pull the decompression lever down to the compression position. Turn two or three times without stopping, and the engine will start.
After starting, return control lever from "FULL SPEED" to "SLOW SPEED"

Although I have a Yanmar owner's manual, parts manual, and shop manual I don't have a hand crank.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#7 2011-02-01 18:46:35

Hi Todd, no, I never did get the 3GM started with the hand crank. A friend speculated that I might succeed in an emergency. Fortunately I never had one. I redid the wiring to the batteries, and learned among other things how to take care of them. But I always wondered if some kind of alternate way might be available. The boat I had the 3GM on was a 1984 Hunter 34. I now have a Westsail 42 with a 4 cylinder Perkins--hand craning is pretty much out of the question!
Will

#8 2011-02-25 13:08:22

Rod Millar

Hi Todd,

If after all this you still want a hand crank, I'm pretty sure I have a spare.  Installed a new 1GM10 in Dragonfly a year ago which came with one, think I still have the crank from the old engine.  You will have to wait until the ice clears from Dragonfly in a couple of weeks or so then I can check.  Yours for the cost of mailing from Canada.
Rod Millar
Dragonfly
C&C 27 Mk V

Rod Millar
Dragonfly
C&C 27 Mk V

#9 2011-02-25 23:02:03

TBracken

Rod,

Fantastic,  I'll take it. Thank you!

Send me an email to Todd[dot]bracken[at]comcast[dot]net and I'll get to you my address and other shipping details.

Sincerely,
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

Board footer