C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-04-06 12:36:57

surfj24

I need info to get my PHRF rating. Can you help me?

I bought a 1985 C & C Mark V and the owner claims he has had a PHRF rating for it at least 2yr. ago but Lake Michigan PHRF went back 6yrs. and could not find it.  So, I'm doing what I can but there are a couple of things I just don't know or don't know how to find out.  Here they are:

For a 1985 C & C Mark V I need:

1.  LWL

2.  Weight of internal ballast

3.  Primary sail area (with a 150% genoa)

4.  Cored deck or not

Can anybody help me with this information? I sure would appreciate it?  It's a stock boat, right off the rack in 1985.

Thanks much in advance,

Your new C & C friend

Joe
OKAY, I AM GETTING RESPONSES BUT THEY HAVE GONE BEYOND THE FIRST PAGE, HOW DO I GET TO THE NEXT PAGE, IF THERE IS ONE?  I'M GETTING GREAT INFO. BUT I CAN'T GET TO THEM.  HOW DO I DO IT?

Last edited by (2011-04-07 11:24:29)

I just purchased the Mark V Catrina out of Port Washington, WI.  I was a J24 sailor for 10yrs.  I did not race the boat except for the Queen's cup which is a overnight race accross Lake Michigan which I do solo.  The rest of the time is used it to cruise with.  I am now 44yrs. old and am tired of crouching down below.  It was time for me to find a boat that I could stand up in down below and have an inboard engine.  The Mark V hit the mark.  I just purchased in January and have not sailed it yet, but I'm sure I will be VERY pleased with it.  It's got everything I ever wanted without having to spend more money on a bigger slip.  All I need is a cradle or some jack stands.

#2 2011-04-06 23:27:19

Re: I need info to get my PHRF rating. Can you help me?

I too have a Mark V and spent some time figuring out the PHRF ratings.  Phrf of Lake Ontario (www.phrf-lo.org) gives a 172 rating. that seems to be low.  I have a 192 rating on the Chesapeake Bay.  I have seen 2 different ratings for the same boat, one "spinnaker" and the other "white sail" (Non-spinnaker).  Good luck.

CRouse
Gemini, Mark V
Chesapeake Bay

#3 2011-04-07 00:53:01

Tonyj

Hi Joe:
If you go to the "Sea Change" section of this website, you'll find  LWl, ballast weight and sail area.
The deck is cored.
It should not be difficult to get a PHRF rating.  While the Lake Michigan PHRF may not have a record of your boat, the surely must have other MkV's in their list.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
MkV #581
FLYING CIRCUS
San Diego   

#4 2011-04-07 03:47:25

surfj24

Thank you for the link.  I'll give it a try.  I've gotten a lot of information so far from LMPHRF on the Mark V, I just need a couple more measurments.  I thought 1985 was the last year of the solid hull.  I've talked to other people on the forum and the previous owner and they all say mine is not cored.  I have hull #531  I don't know if that makes a difference but there's one more thing on my list now that I have to confirm.  If you are CERTAIN I have a cored hull, will you write back to me and let me know?  I'll take your advice over the owner's

Thanks a lot,

Joe
K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)
Hull #531

I just purchased the Mark V Catrina out of Port Washington, WI.  I was a J24 sailor for 10yrs.  I did not race the boat except for the Queen's cup which is a overnight race accross Lake Michigan which I do solo.  The rest of the time is used it to cruise with.  I am now 44yrs. old and am tired of crouching down below.  It was time for me to find a boat that I could stand up in down below and have an inboard engine.  The Mark V hit the mark.  I just purchased in January and have not sailed it yet, but I'm sure I will be VERY pleased with it.  It's got everything I ever wanted without having to spend more money on a bigger slip.  All I need is a cradle or some jack stands.

#5 2011-04-07 05:16:43

surfj24

Do you have the measurements for your Mainsail?  I went to the "Sea Change" site like you said and got everything I needed (thank you very much) however the only thing left is the Mainsail girth measurements.  So, If you could provide MGT-(TOP 7/8TH,)  MGU-(UPPER 3/4,) MGM-(MIDDLE 1/2,) And MGL-(LOWER 1/4.)  I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide those measurements from YOUR certificate.  I'm sure they would be good on mine, right?  I know I'm asking a lot from you but you seem to be the only person I can get answers from.  I've called the sail loft, they have no record and LMPHRF has done very much within it's power to help me but it's the fringe info. that I can't get.  Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Joe Kiehm,
Milwaukee, WI

#6 2011-04-07 06:29:34

Tonyj

Hi Joe:
Your original post asked was the deck cored. Yes it is.  Says so in the owners manual. 
Your later post asked about the HULL being cored.   No it's not.
You'll have to measure your mainsail to get your girth dimensions. Not hard at all.  My request for rating didn't ask for mainsail girth dims., only spinnaker.
Good Luck,
Tony

#7 2011-04-07 07:49:02

surfj24

Okay, I will offically note that about the hull and deck, thank you.  I will do the measurements myself.  I just thought that if you had to provide that information (which I do) I could just use your measurements.  Thank you sooooo much for being so helpful.  This is my first "real" boat.  I had a J24 for 10yrs (hull #27) and cruised it except for one race (the Queen's Cup) which is an overnite race accross Lake Michigan, about 70mi which I do solo.  I'm 45 now and am tired of crouching over when down below and having that outboard hanging off the transom.  Now I've got a galley, a real toilet, fresh water tank, auto pilot, inboard diesel with batteries that charge off the alternator etc.......Plus, I can almost stand completely vertical down below now.  What a bonus !!  Well, that should do it for us.  Thanks again, you've been MORE than helpful and I truely appreciate it.

Joe

Board footer