C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-05-01 01:14:13

wrapper

Head replacement

I just rebuit my Wilcox Citation to discover a leak in the pump housing. I have enough of this.  Going for a new head.

Can someone tell me if I can just fill in the holes for the Wilcox mounting and then drill new holes for the Jabsco? 

How do you get the new screws or studs for the Jabsco in to the platform.

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#2 2012-05-01 03:36:39

carriden

Re: Head replacement

Hey there Allan,
When I switched over heads in Carriden, I just used some 3M high-strength (fiberglass reinforced) polyester filler to fill the old holes and then touched up the surface with some gelcoat paste.  To mount the new head, I went to my local plumbing supply store and got some brass toilet-mounting bolts.  These are double-ended bolts, which are lag screws (self-tapping wood screw thread) on one end and a machine screw on the other end.  Typically, they also come with brass cap nuts and may even include brass washers.  Once you have positioned the new head and marked the location for the bolts, you just drill into the platform.  There should be a 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch plywood base moulded into the platform for the head.  You simply screw the lag screw end of the bolt into the base, leaving enough of the machine screw end protruding so that you can fasten down the toilet.  I used this method for both my 25 and my 27, and the heads have remained secure for decades.  After drilling the holes, remember to use a countersink to flare the edge of the gelcoat, as this will reduce the possibility of cracking and flaking the gelcoat around the hole as you screw in the bolts.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2012-05-03 01:53:16

wrapper

Okay, I took off the old head and see there seems to be a good piece of plywood underneath. 

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#4 2012-05-07 02:07:08

wrapper

Another problem

I have a new Jabsco compact head and new sanitation hose 1/1/2 inches.  I have two clamps and fairly tightly fitted.

Water is leaking from under the hose - between the plastic nipple and the hose, on both ends (head discharge and holding tank intake)

The hoses fit tightly.  The one at the head is tighter.  But water is coming out on both ends, under the hose.

What gives ?
Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#5 2012-05-10 06:11:34

wrapper

Update.  After some research it looks like I had a few problems.

1. The hose may not have been aligned square.
2. I heated the hose in boiling water to make the ends more pliable.  The hose became soft like gummy bears.
3. My 1975 holding tank inlet was too small and I ended up sealing it with silicon. 

Seems bone dry on both ends of the hose now.

Mounted on the new head to the floor with 5/16 lug bolts. 

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Board footer