C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-11-01 13:01:02

CONSORT2012

New MkV in Toronto

Hello All,

New member with 1st boat. Sweet '87 MkV now out of Ashbridges Bay Toronto. Great to see this forum and looking forward to learning a lot about our new boat. I will be taking inventory of what we need for next summer in the way of sails, winches, gear, etc. Hope some of you have some stuff for sale as well as potential tips on rig setup and maintenance.

We will be mostly cruising next summer but I have raced for a few years on other boats. We do intend to race as soon as we can find a reasonable price for racing sails and related gear. Definitely looking forward to sailing this little boat, and "messin' about" on the water. See you out there.
Martin
C&C27 MkV
Toronto

Martin
C&C27 MkV
Toronto

#2 2012-11-01 21:53:18

Steve Reid

Re: New MkV in Toronto

Welcome Aboard Martin!
You are hereby invited to come to the Mk V Meet & Greet, Nov 22 at Etobicoke YC, it's not just for racers but all Mk V Owners. It will give you a chance to meet fellow owners face to face, get some direct contact coordinates and start gleening the ins and outs of our great boats. There are also some nifty draw prizes, you might end up a winner.
Please do your best to make it out.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working Mk V #75

#3 2012-11-02 03:39:27

CONSORT2012

Hello Steve,
Thanks for invite. I will definitely try to come out to that meeting. I sailed out of EYC and MCC years ago on a couple of CnC34s. I have also started my search to replace my Barient 18s for a couple of 2speed self-tailing winches for the combings. Probably "30s"? If my current 18s are usable after cleaning, my intention is to add them to the cabin top to complement the 10's (singles) already there. I've seen MkVs with six winches and am wondering if this exercise would be eventually useful for racing? Any search tips would be great. Thanks.
Martin
C&C27 MkV
Toronto

Martin
C&C27 MkV
Toronto

#4 2012-11-15 06:46:24

CONSORT2012

Hello All,

MKV Hull heritage question: The MKV history page here says MKV hulls produced in NOTL (ZCC) number from #2 thru #169, with Rhode Island hulls starting at #500 and up. My hull is ZCC#170. Anyone know how I might clarify this? Obviously there are 1988 and 1989 MKV's (1990/91?) out there, so are these all the Rhode Island boats? Is the info on this page correct? I am interested in finding out if my hull is the last one or one of the last out of the Niagara facility. I do know that a couple of C&C employees ordered the boat off the production line and gave it a few tweaks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Martin
C&C27 MkV
Toronto

Martin
C&C27 MkV
Toronto

#5 2012-11-16 00:47:59

ALAN FORD

Welcome Martin.
You have all winter to hunt for 2-speed self-tailing winches, so a good place to start is eBay. I found suitable units there, but they don't stay around long.You will need to check the Site daily.
SMOKE has 4 Barient 10's on the coach roof. In conjunction with 8 good clutches they seem to do their job quite well. Might the larger 18's be an obstacle in that area? You should also keep in mind that the structure was probably not designed to take the much increased loads that you can apply with the larger winches.  Other owners may have done this modification, so I suggest that you wait for further ideas that come your way.

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#6 2012-11-16 02:40:42

Steve Reid

Martin

Still Knot Working has 4 Barrient #10's on the cabin top, while it's usefull from time to time we seldome use more than one at a time. As Alan points out if you have good rope clutches for all of the line that lead aft from the mast your in pretty good shape. The winches on the cabin top don't provide the best lead angle for anything coming from the cockpit, other than a spinn sheet and if you use ratchet blocks for the spinn sheets the 10's are adaquately sized.
I've toyed with the idea of putting a small self tailing winch in place of one of the port (the side my primary genoa haylard is on) so that we could be more proactive in adjusting haylard tension for upwind racing, especially on days of varying wind.

Hope you come to the Meet & Greet you could get some direct answers to this and a lot of your other questions.
Steve

#7 2012-11-16 02:42:48

CONSORT2012

Thanks Alan,

I did think the Barient 18 size might be an obstacle on the cabin-top depending on placement, but I did not think of individual load. Not sure what the practical difference would be but I'm not an engineer so I'll have to research. I'll add the EBay research onto my long list.

Any insight into my hull heritage question regarding build numbers? Look forward to meeting you at EYC next week. Thanks again.
Martin
C&C27 MkV
Toronto

Martin
C&C27 MkV
Toronto

Board footer