C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-02-01 05:32:26

Richard A

Compass repair

Does anyone know where I can get my compass repaired?  I have a Gemini bulkhead-mount compass, and the globe or oil has become so cloudy that it is almost unreadable.  Has anyone had any experience in having these repaired?  As an alternative, does anyone have recommendations for a drop-in relacement for the Gemini?

Richard

[This is one of the reasons I ask for location information in your profile or signature - where to get things fixed depends a lot on where you are. That said - as I've said in <http://www.cc27association.com/site/view.html>, Google is your friend (until they become evil or until you're into really 27-specific territory). Google "Gemini compass repair" and away you go. - Admin]

Last edited by (2013-02-04 05:32:10)

#2 2013-02-01 12:56:27

Steve Reid

Re: Compass repair

Not sure where you are located, so it's difficult to recommend where you can go to get the compass repaired.
But given that most new compasses cost around $175.00 to $200.00 it's probably not worth repairing it.
Last time I got a compass repaired it was some guy who had a little hole in the wall shop up around York University on Keele St in Toronto. Last time I went to find him he was gone, business closed, probably because his minimum was $80.00 plus parts most people just decided to get a new instrument.
Why not measure the size of the hole in your bulkhead and find a suitable replacement?

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working,MkV #75

#3 2013-02-04 00:12:43

clanning

Mine gets opaque.  I don't have a cover so the plastic takes the brunt of the UV over the summer.

Polishing compound and a drill-mounted polishing wheel gets me through another summer.

Cheers,
Chuck Lanning
NSC, Ottawa

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#4 2013-02-07 04:04:00

sony2000

I'm interested in buying your old compass to fill one the holes in my bulkhead, the I'll try to improve it.

Board footer