C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-04-13 08:08:43

stargazer

Stuffing Box Hose

While I've got the time on the hard, I've pulled the prop shaft for inspection and to replace the visibly old and tired stuffing box hose

to my disbelief, the vast majority of marine supply stores do not carry the correct hose for the application

it is suggested that a minimum of 4 ply hose be used and not the more common 2 ply marine exhaust hose. Sure the marine exhaust hose can be substituted and I believe that's what I removed, but in the case of a sink or float item, I think the answer is quit obvious.

Think it's round two on Monday to some marine fitters/service shops to get the "right stuff"

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Newport Yacht Club

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#2 2013-04-14 12:18:22

KenPole

Re: Stuffing Box Hose

If the marine fitters/service folk can't help, suggest try a company that services/supplies trucking firms. Cheers.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#3 2013-04-14 14:36:47

stargazer

i'll check Caterpillar, just  nearby

good idea!
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Newport Yacht Club

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#4 2014-04-14 06:16:43

TBracken

I would like to replace my stuffing box hose as well. Any brand/source recommendations for the ideal 4 ply hose?
-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

#5 2014-04-14 07:36:09

foroadmin
Administrator

Canadian source:
http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10025%7C10601&product=22477403&code=BA%2080HO22512

Note illustrations and text explaining the difference between this and exhaust hose.

US source:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=14313&familyName=Buck+Algonquin+Packing+Box+Hose
- Admin

#6 2014-04-17 04:18:34

whippet

Just in case you havent seen this great resource (link below).    shows what can happen if you use wrong type of hose.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

Board footer