C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-08-24 13:14:25

stargazer

mkV wheel steering rudder cable adjustment

have MkV and looking for any guidance in adjusting free play in the rudder steering cable

had a look below deck and cannot determine the point where the chain drive and the cable attach

I'm guessing the union may be hidden in the binnacle, and if so how do I gain access to a point of adjusment

any help appreciated

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#2 2013-08-25 13:45:56

carriden

Re: mkV wheel steering rudder cable adjustment

Hey there Lawrence,

Carriden is equipped with an Edson pedestal and steering.  The cable tension adjustment on my unit is not handled at the junction of the cable and the chain.  That is a simple, fixed-length link.  Instead, cable adjustment is handled at the point where the cable attaches to the quadrant on the rudder post.  After going around the quadrant,the swaged ends of the cable are fed into holes in the quadrant casting and anchored there.  You can tighten or loosen the cable by adjusting the nuts on these threaded fittings which connect the cable to the quadrant.  You can also use these adjustable ends for fine-tuning your helm alignment, such as centering your king spoke on the wheel.

If your unit is an Edson unit, then the same probably applies for your boat.

Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2013-08-25 21:05:59

stargazer

thanks for the reply,

my boat being a Mark V and having and external rudder design, the steering mechanism is outboard , quit different than earlier generations

the cable/rod exits the transom and is then attached to the rudder via a simple tie rod end to bracket on the rudder

the tie rod end is press fit and it is my hope that the adjustment/threaded end is housed internally

when at the boat next, I will remove the rod end and give it a turn

hope I have good results, as it is now, the auto helmsman has a difficult time keeping a steady course due to the free play

cheers again!

Last edited by (2013-08-25 21:39:53)

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#4 2013-08-29 12:40:06

Steve Reid

Lawrence
I think you will find that the steerring system on your boat is hydraulic, rather than mechanical. The play you are experiancing is likely due to low hydraulic fluid in the system.
You can cure that problem by purchasing a hydraulic fill kit and topping up the system and bleeding off the air. Similar to the way the break system in a car is done.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working Mark V #75

#5 2013-08-29 13:44:32

stargazer

Steve,

no hydraulics here

no adjustment at the tie rod where it attaches to the rudder

the steering cable where it connects to the chain drive is concealed within the pedestal

I've had a look from underneath and nothing to see,

I'm of the mind that the pedestal needs to be disassembled to gain access to the point of connection, whether there is an adjustment there, I do not know

I may just send an email to Rob at south shore yachts, I'm sure he knows

thanks for the input though
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#6 2013-08-29 23:07:09

Steve Reid

Lawrence
Can you get a manufacturers name off the pedestal?
If you might be able to contact them.

Steve

#7 2013-08-30 00:59:02

stargazer

I have no idea....i can look in the owners manual, but I don;t recall any literature on it itself
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#8 2013-09-06 07:29:44

KenPole

Consulted local service tech today. He confirmed my suspicion that C&Cs with wheel steering were Edson equipped, so suggest you check out edsonmarine.com; they have all kinds of  downloadable manuals. Hopefully yours will be there. Good luch.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#9 2013-09-09 02:09:11

stargazer

Ken,

thanks for the insight, I am now in communication with Edson,

their website doesn't have anything downloadable for the MkV steering system, it is unique

currently awaiting reply from their tech dept

thanks again for the steerage in the direction

Larry
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#10 2013-09-09 02:41:47

KenPole

Good luck with Edson; I've found them to be very helpful. Another possible source (I should have thought of this earlier) is South Shore Yachts in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont., Owner Rob MacLachlan is ex-C&C and they too are a very useful source -- for parts as well as info. They're at southshoreyachts.com, 905-468-4340 or toll-free 866.628.4080.
Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#11 2013-09-09 09:00:06

Steve Reid

Lawrence:
I agree with Ken you should try South Shore, Rob I a wealth of knowlwdge about all things C&C.
If you aren't getting anywhere with Edson, I suggest calling them and ask to speak to Rob Ball. Last I heard Rob was with Edson and he was the chief designer C&C at the time the Mark V was designed, si he can probably help.

Steve Reid
Mark V #75

#12 2013-09-09 09:22:26

stargazer

Been down the south shore road, they weren't as helpful as I had hoped

Word back from Edson is, that the steering is not there's

quite possible the tech isn't old enough to know, possible a one off design commissioned for C&C for the MK V,

I believe the pedestal to be Edson,all of the controls seem to be of the same, whether or not the rest of the steerage is or is not, is the question 

thought I was getting somewhere, 
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#13 2013-09-09 10:45:38

Steve Reid

Lawrence:
For what it's worth, the very first Mark V I look at, when shopping for a boat, had wheel steering and I imediately crawled under the cockpit to see what it would take to get rid of it and put a tiller on the boat.
The last thing that the Mark V needs is wheel steering the boat just won't preform with weight in the back.
As I said for what it's worth.

Steve

#14 2013-09-09 11:57:01

stargazer

with all due respect Steve

my Mark V is a rocket!
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#15 2013-09-12 04:07:36

KnotiusMax

Move over Steve, I'll pick that 'gauntlet' up!
Lawerence - I'm looking forward to seeing how fast Stargazer II is.  Hoping we can see her out next season.  First race we were thinking of planning for mkVs in 2014 is RCYC Open.  Steve and I are talking about setting up another mkV class 'meeting' this fall and hope you can join in.
Scott Fraser,
Knotius Maximus
Mk V - Hull 154
Toronto

Scott Fraser,
Knotius Maximus
Mk V - Hull 154
Toronto

#16 2013-09-12 11:02:01

stargazer

sorry to disappoint, but I have little interest in racing, been there and  done that, 
Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

Lawrence Katz
'86 MkV #132
                                                                    Stargazer II
Fifty Point Marina

#17 2013-09-13 20:42:38

sony2000

There is usually a chain loop running up and down the column. So it has a little slack in it. There must be an adjuster pulley.

Board footer