C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-10-31 09:25:11

rblade

Head holding tank replacement

Recently I bought a 1973 C&C 27 Mk II.  The head had a recyling holding tank that was causing some bad smells.  After removing the head, the cabinet, and the wall behind the head, I found a hard formed bladder type of tank behind the wall that was leaking.  I have removed everything with plans on installing new head, tank and plumbing. 
I would like to install a hard formed plastic holding tank.  I have been having trouble finding a supplier for the odd shape that will fit behind the head.  I would prefer to find a tank that will fill most of the space behind this wall. 
I have a fresh water holding tank located in the centre under the v-berth.  There is a small space on either side of the V-berth that could be used to install a holding tank, but again the space is odd shaped and I fear a holding tank would be too small to fit there unless it was customized to fill the entire space. 
Does anyone know where I can find a hard plastic tank to fit behind the wall behind the head or a tank that will fit the space under the sides in the V-Berth?  I do not want to install a flexible bladder type of tank.
Rblade

#2 2004-10-31 10:56:45

Re: Head holding tank replacement

Check with Holland Marine Products in Toronto. I believe that they make custom tanks. HMP are also a competitive source for many C&C items such as stantion bases, window gaskets and butyl tape for the early models.
C&C 27/2 Hull # 322
Bob Honsberger  Burlington On

PS. If you have difficulty in sourcing your tank, let me know as I believe there is a source in Hamilton that make custom tanks. Will try to get that info for future info.

#3 2004-11-01 11:44:53

rblade

Bob,
I went to the Holland Marine site and down loaded their catolog. It looks to me like they have a 16 gallon tank that should fit.  It is their U16 model.
Thanks for your help,
rblade

#4 2005-01-26 10:48:58

dewarro

Hello rblade.  I read with great interest your post re replacing the bladder holding tank in your 27, as I am looking at the same project this spring.  I have a 1974 27 and I would love to know if you found a plastic tank?  Could you tell me where they are available and how well it fit in?  I agree that it would be best to put one back in the same place...not in the v-berth area.  I don't want it that close to me while I'm sleeping! 
Hope to hear from you soon
Roger
Port Dover, Ont.

#5 2005-01-27 08:10:06

rblade

Hi Roger,
I did not get a tank from Holland.  The size I needed has been discontinued because their supplier broke the mold.  I have given up on finding a proper tank that is pre-made to size.  I cannot locate one. 
I am now in process of building a fiberglass tank.  I have some really good photos and details from Antoine.  He has a C&C 30 and built a great looking tank.  He sent me all the details on how to build it. 
I still have the photos and his thread of email. If you PM me I will send you what I have if you decide to go this route.  If you do find anything else that will work for you I would be happy to hear about it.  I have stopped process on my tank until the weather warms up a bit.
<A href="mailto:rblade@rogers.com">rblade@rogers.com</A>

#6 2005-01-27 23:10:47

I seem to have a '76 MKIII with what must be the recycle tank that has been converted to fresh water intake, and the recycle connection to the tank plugged.  I have odours such that my wife will no longer overnight on the boat.  I would like to take the tank out (and repair/replace), but haven't found the secret to removing all of the panel work behind the head.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I see someone named John indicated he know's the secret on another thread last year.  Who is John.  I assume you must remove the entire sink vanity?  With my luck I'll get both bulk heads removed, the deck off, and the engine out before I find the one screw that would have simply removed the panel.

#7 2005-01-28 10:10:39

Hi Chris,
I'm John and I have been there and done that so to speak. Yes you do need to remove the panel behind the head/toilet and to do that you need to remove the vanity first. You don't need to remove the sink or tap/pump if you can access all the screws so try not to do that if at all possible. Most of the screws are visible using a flashlight and a small mirror. There are 3 or 4 screws hidden under or just behind the sliding vanity doors behind the head. C&C liked to use wooden cleats to reinforce their wood joints. In fact once you get the panel off there is a one wood cleat holding the tank in place. Make very sure you mark exactly where the cleat goes before you remove it or you'll have big problems getting the tank back into place after you repair or replace it.
Kracor still makes the tank but I think it costs over $400 USD and takes weeks to get. (Kracor still has the mold but doesn't keep any in stock, hence the long lead time and high cost.) If Anyone wants to set up a bulk order I'm game to get a new one as I didn't want to waste half my season so I just JB welded it back together again.
Isn't there someone in this group that runs a marine business? Maybe they could take set this up as at least 5 people have had the same problem in the last year or so. 30 years might just be the life of these tanks... You can reach me at <A href="mailto:JT440@aol.com">JT440@aol.com</A> if you put C&C 27 in the subject line. I toss most mail/spam that I don't know where it came from.
Cheers,
John C&C 27 MKIII 1975

#8 2005-02-04 03:51:50

Thanks for replying so quickly.  Sorry to hear that it isn't easy to find a replacement tank.  I am checking South Shore Yachts.  I don't think I want to get into making a fibreglass tank...I don't think...maybe I won't have a choice!  I'll be in touch.

Roger

#9 2005-02-04 06:22:27

Try Ontario Plastic Fabricators Inc. in Toronto.
<A href="http://www.ontarioplastics.ca">www.ontarioplastics.ca</A>
Their advert. in Ontario Sailor magazine states that they fabricate plastic parts for boats and have water and holding tanks. Worth a try.
Bob Honsberger
Burlington Ontario
"Budge"  Hull # 322

Board footer