C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2016-12-13 04:19:00

mikeware

shaft seal packing material

I want to repack my original shaft seal on 71 mark 1. From reading it seems different cord sizes are available and required depending on shaft diameter and type of coupling. It has worked just fine all these years and just run out of tightening adjustment so no present intent on replacing with any dripless type etc. Covered for winter now but would like to dig out old stuff and redo in Spring. Any ideas on type and size of packing material for this old A4 and Toronto area sources.
Thanks
Mike Ware
C&C 27 Mark 1 1971 Parsifal
Bronte Harbour Marina

Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

#2 2016-12-21 05:49:14

whippet

Re: shaft seal packing material

Hi Mike

I redid mine a few years back.   Bought the materials as suggested by HMP in Mississaugua  -- black graphite infused fiber.   Was warned can not be used in salt water but fine for the great lakes.

See Black Arts.  Consensus is that correct size is 1/4".   

See this site with excellent tutorial on replacing.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

Last edited by (2016-12-21 05:54:45)

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#3 2016-12-21 08:32:37

mikeware

Re: shaft seal packing material

Thanks for the response. I did find that excellent article you referred to and that is why I was questioning the correct sized fibre. Having referring me to Black Arts I had forgotten about, I now have other concerns on rubber hose, scoring, warping, cutless bearing, replacing my 2 blade fixed prop and many other topics referenced. Lots of time to plan my attack in the Spring.
Thanks to all those who have contributed to the site.
Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

Mike Ware
Bronte Harbour Marina

Board footer