C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2020-12-30 22:45:16

new 150 for a MK V

Hi Guys and Gals,
Need a little advice. I have a C&C 27 MK V and need to replace the furling 150/155 — will be doing a little bit of Club racing. I’m thinking of a Tri-radial dacron from Precision using Challenger Warp drive. Also, I see Precision has a laminate, made from Contender Black Polyester Racing ZZP09. Love the look and that you can see through it. Big question — how long will the laminate last — especially with it often hitting the baby stay. I guess I can eliminate the baby stay?  Your experience and advice, please. Anybody use Precision? Not locked into using that sailmaker, though they are much less money.
Richard

Richard Schillay
Great American Nude
# 529
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Richard Schillay,
AHYC, Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina (New Jersey),
1984 Mark V (#529)

Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)

#2 2020-12-31 02:29:28

License2Keel

Re: new 150 for a MK V

I do not use the baby stay - the attachment point acts, at times, as a downhaul for my spinnaker. No issues to report as of yet.Joshua C. Harper
License To Keel, Mk V
Atlanta, GA

Joshua C. Harper
License To Keel, Mk V
Atlanta, GA

#3 2020-12-31 06:51:18

I too use the deck attachment point as a downhaul for the spinnaker. It is a bit awkward when jibing to bring the pole around in front of that baby stay. When racing and handling the pole, that baby stay is a great place to hold on to.  love the name of your boat. What headsail and sailmaker do you use? Happy with them?
Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)

Richard Schillay,
1984 Mark V (#529)

#4 2021-01-03 08:13:28

Steve Reid

I don't use the Baby Stay unless it's really blowing and the boat is really punching into the waves. All the Baby Stay does is stop the mast from excessively pumping.
As for which sailmaker to use, I've always found that you get what you pay for. Also sooner or later you are going to need to get your sail/s serviced so it's best to establish a relationship with a local business.
Any reputable sailmaker in your area should be able to explain the pros and cons of the various types of materials and types of cuts to assist you in making a decision on what to purchase.

#5 2021-03-17 07:53:17

clanning

We've used Precision a few times.  We bought a 150 and main for our Redline 25 about three years ago then the 150 and main for the 27 one year ago.  Went for the tri-radial dacron cuts in both cases, although price went up significantly for the last set (versus an earlier quote for the 27).  We don't use the baby stay (haven't seen the mast pump in the two seasons we've owned her).

You'll measure everything 10 times to make sure you've got it right.  (I was scratching my head for a while until I realized that our boom had been raised by a foot to clear the bimini.)  You know what they say, measure twice, cut once...

Precision was awesome to deal with through the ordering and configuration process the first time, and okay the second time.  The sails were perfect and as-ordered both times and I'd use them again. 

We race white sail only, and some long-distance (upriver and back, timed).  We like cruising more now, so these sails are right for us.

Good luck with this!

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#6 2021-03-18 13:00:29

jaghtschip

I replaced a laminate UK tape drive with a north NPL 155% and converted to RF this winter. I priced out a few different lofts and was surprised at how competitive the price for north was. I haven't yet sailed it, but i'm over in at RYC just west of you. You're welcome to come out and sail the boat before purchasing this spring.

The guidance I received from all the sailmakers I spoke to was consistent. They estimated the life of a laminate headsail was about 3- to 5-years for reasonable PHRF performance as long as you don't abuse the sail.

I converted the baby stay over to dyneema and a 4 part block and tackle. The dyneema is a little easier on the mast (stowed) and leech (in use). As others have pointed, i only use it in chop upwind.

For the spin downhaul, I have a deck padeye mounted halfway between the forward hatch and the bow. My babystay attachment is on the forward bulkhead and passes through the house just behind the forward hatch. Do you have issues launching the sail out of the hatch using the babystay for the downhaul? I would think the down haul would be rubbing/catching on the open hatch?

For what it's worth, we put the deck sweeper UK tape drive through the stanchion last year. The local North sales rep sent me PSA patches and stanchion patches free of charge even before I order a sail from him. They also measured the boat for the new sail. I was genuinely impressed by the service.

If you can hold off till the fall, you can get around ~10% discount around the boat show specials.

Happy shopping!

cheers,
matt

EDUAM
MkV 564
RYC, NJ

Board footer