C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-11-23 01:35:38

Solenoid problems?

n" size=3>I’m having a problem starting my engine (Universal M2-12) and wondered if anyone might know the answers to a few questions. I have a Wave 26, with two batteries, wired in parallel, without a battery switch. run: yes"> </SPAN>In the past, whenever I turn my ignition key to the “on “ position, I immediately hear the fuel pump clicking whereas I either depress the glow plug switch (depending on the time of year and ambient temperature) or simply push the starter button and as always, the engine kicks to life.
n" size=3>My problem; when I turn the ignition switch on, nothing happens as if the batteries were dead. No fuel pump click or when I depress the starter button, no spin. run: yes"> </SPAN>My batteries are almost new, fully charged, and my cabin lights, navigation lights, radio, etc. etc. all work fine. I’ve checked all of the fuses and connections, replaced the ignition switch with new, but it did not cure the problem. I suspect the solenoid might be the culprit, but because of the cost associated with a new one, I wanted to make sure it needed replacement before I purchased a new one. I can understand the starter not working if the solenoid is bad, but would that be the case with the fuel pump also? In other words, is the fuel pump activated by the solenoid?
n" size=3>A mechanic I’m not, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 2004-11-23 05:18:23

Re: Solenoid problems?

First before you do anything else... go get a few of things.... emery paper, a brass brush, some cleaning solvent, and a tube of dielectric grease.   

You may have a bad solenoid, but a common culprit is dirty contacts, especially the ground at the battery.  Clean all the contacts along the way, put a light coat of dielectric grease on the fittings and then try your solenoid/starter again. 

Using a voltmeter helps also to determine where you are getting power or not....if it truely is your solenoid then remove the starter/solenoid and take it to you local shop and have them test it (this is usually free), after that you make the call...

The most likely reason your fuel pump does not run is because it is attached to an oil pressure switch... no turn over, no pressure, no pump. 

"IRIS"
1975 C&C 27 MKlll
Hull No 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2004-11-24 04:10:17

Thanks for the reply and advice. I’ve already cleaned the battery posts, but not sure about the ground. I’ll check that next, but if I have full power at my cabin panel, shouldn’t I have it elsewhere like the starter button, fuel pump, etc.?

Lets say the solenoid is bad … can I “jump start” the engine by crossing the poles with a screwdriver?

Actually, my real concern is winterizing the engine before the weather turns cold.  Without being able to start it, I’m not sure how to pump antifreeze throughout it and the water muffler. Once I’m winterized, the starter issue can be dealt with over the winter, although I’d like to get that squared away as soon as possible. Anyone have any advice on how to pump antifreeze into the engine, or is that even possible without it running?

#4 2004-12-05 02:29:30

</SPAN>
FYI update, my boat is running again. The problem was a frayed connection in the ignition, behind the starter/control panel in the cockpit. The previous owner had wrapped a bunch of the wires together with electrical tape, so the fray wasn't obvious, sorta camouflaged by gobs of tape. I pulled everything apart, discovered the problem and corrected it. She (the boat) runs like a top now, just in time for winter storage ... ugh

She came ashore ashore yesterday to spend the winter on the hard.  Sadly, another season has passed,but joyfully, another season just ahead.

Board footer