C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2006-03-01 22:12:53

pura vida

Insurance

Ahh spring! The days get longer. Up north the snow begins to melt off the boats and down south the mesquitos start to attack you in the garden. (Yep, February 27th, first mesquito of the year.) One has constant thoughts of spring commissioning and then all of a sudden... wham... insurance.
In my initial rush to get Windhorse insured I purchased a Progressive policy from a guy I buy my business insurance from. It is "OK" but I think the market might beat it. So I'm thinking of going out to bid this year. Any advice or recent experience will be appreciated. If any of the folks in Florida can shed light on who pays and who doesn't for storm losses I would appreciate hearing that too. 
Thanks
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#2 2006-03-04 02:03:01

currawong

Re: Insurance

Hello Mike,
We use Boat US - rates are competitive, and their publications are highly informative.  On the claims side, from personal experience after being t-boned by a "hit & run" speedboat , their service, fairness and timeliness are absolutely incredible. 
One other excellent advantage in my view is that they are a member association, and if you have bad claim experience, you have a forum to all members in the monthly? magazine.
PhilPhil Austin
"Cooee"  C&C 27, Mk I, Hull #66
Sandpoint, Idaho

Phil Austin
"Cooee" ; C&C 27, Mk I, Hull #66
Sandpoint, Idaho

#3 2006-03-05 05:15:47

pura vida

Thanks Phil,
That is the kind of information I'm looking for. I'm a member of Boat US now but have not looked into their insurance. Warren tells me that his membership includes towing and is close to the price of my Progressive policy. I'll have to get a quote.
thanks

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2006-03-05 05:15:49

pura vida

Thanks Phil,
That is the kind of information I'm looking for. I'm a member of Boat US now but have not looked into their insurance. Warren tells me that his membership includes towing and is close to the price of my Progressive policy. I'll have to get a quote.
thanks

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#5 2006-03-06 12:53:27

We get our boat insurance through Boat US also. This has been the case for the past four years, although we have never (fortunately)been in need of making a claim. In addition, we also have tow insurance through them. No issues thus far....and yes, a good publication comes with it.
Greg Reese
Billerina, #33

#6 2006-03-09 08:12:07

I have no problem with BoatsUS---'cept they wanted a survey, etc--etc.
I called my Progressive guy (with whom I have a bunch of cars)---$15K hull and pretty decent liability for , I think, about $400.Dave Tinder
DAWN BREAKER  Mk3
Ft Myers

#7 2006-03-20 02:25:37

I lost #57 to Hurricane Katrina. I was insured with State Farm and they timely paid the stated value. But they also paid 5% of the stated value as provided for in the policy for wreck removal. This amount will in no way pay to remove the remains which now rest in a parking lot much less pay for removal if she were to go down in a navigable channel and require immediate removal. Boat US was removing wrecks right and left as part of their policy. On my new boat, their quote was higher, but the coverage is better. Unfortunately, they will not write a policy because of my Katrina claim.

Board footer