C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2003-09-21 12:22:58

Yanmar and Transmission Questions

I want to make sure that I am not having trouble with the trasnmission on my vessel.
Every time I put the gear selector in forward, it does not "go" right away, I somethimes have to increase the engine RPM's before it will go in gear.
This does not happen in reverse.
Note that the engine controls are on the wheel pedestal, it has been converted to wheel steering, and the linkage seems good.
If anyone has had a similar problem, I'd appreciate the help.
Thank you,
Steven
1981 MK IV
"SIGNUS"
Palm Harbor, FL

#2 2003-09-24 01:51:40

Re: Yanmar and Transmission Questions

Hi Steven,  I have a Yanmar diesel and wheel steering and I have know problem from neutral to forward or reverse. If you have a problem going forward when you engage the gear selector, then it can be only one of three things, your cable could be out of adjustment, your shifter control at the transmission has slipped forward not allowing you to fully engage in forward or your transmission is slipping. Hopefully it is one of the first two problems.
All the Best
Bob Wilson

#3 2004-03-08 14:51:13

Re: Yanmar and Transmission Questions

I'm not sure if it is the same problem, but I was having a problem with the clutch chattering severely on my 1GM10.  This could have been an expensive repair.  The Yanmar transmissions use a cone clutch design which relies in part on a self-servo effect to engage properly (there is also a sliding "finger" in a groove on the moving part of the clutch that keeps the clutch engaged.  This sometimes needs to be adjusted to apply the proper "preload" on the clutch.)  This means they need to engage "smartly" and take on some load immediately.  So don't be shy with the shift level -- snap it when you shift into gear.  I read on the Website of an Yanmar dealer that problems can be caused by worn/burned oil in the transmission.  I changed the oil and my problem went away.  The transmission on the 1GM takes 0.25 liter, about $1 worth of oil, so now I change it everytime I change the engine oil.  This might be worth a try for you.
By the Way, the self-servo action of the cone clutch is the reason why, if you want to stop the prop from rotating while sailing, you should use reverse gear.  If you shift into forward, and have some speed on the boat, you may find it very difficult to shift back to neutral without slowing the boat.
Bob, S/V Heatwave (Mark V)

Board footer