C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-03-14 09:42:43

Shaft Seal Packless Sealing Systems

Has anyone replaced their stuffing boxes with a shaft seal?  If so what are the appropriate measurements  for the shaft seal on a CC27?  I need to know the shaft diameter and the stern tube outside diameter.  The shaft diameter is 7/8", but I don't know the diameter of the stern tube.  Interested in anyone's experience.
Thanks,
Bruce Peever

#2 2004-03-16 00:28:10

Re: Shaft Seal Packless Sealing Systems

I did not replace my stuffing box with a dripless system, what I did do after a bit of investigation was use the new teflon packing type of material... you simply place the traditional type of packing (teflon impregnated ) one turn,  the teflon packing material (texture like stiff play dough) and another turn of the traditional stuff.   hand tighten the gland nut and you are done.  you might have to make a small adjustment to the gland nut after running for an hour or so, but that is it.

I have been using this for over seven years and have not had a drop leak from the stuffing box and the friction is greatly reduced. Casts about $50, buy you can do at least two boats with the amount you get.

This is available from West Marine as well as other marine suppliers...

"IRIS"
Kittery Point, Maine

Board footer