C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-08-08 03:58:18

tboicey

Hood furler jamming...

My MkI came with roller furling, a Hood brand system.

It seems in good shape, but the furling line seems to jam often, and it happens both in rolling in and out.

If it matters, I am using a fresh length of 1/4" nylon as the furling line.

One thing that also seems out of whack, the little spool that has the gate in it for the rope to enter rotates freely, so sometimes when it jams the opening is pointing away from the boat, and there might be a turn or so of furling line wrapped around the exposed forestay.

Any general tips?

#2 2007-08-08 08:06:56

Re: Hood furler jamming...

In my experience ,roller furling gear will jam when 1) the head stay is slack or sagged causing resistance to foil rotation. 2)If the halyard is not at an angle to the rear when hoisted then it can wrap at the top and cause trouble.3)If the sail is too short it can also allow halyard wrap on the headstay. Can you still rotate the head foil by hand when the drum fouls? If not then I would look at 2 ,3  . Fix 2 with a halyard restrainer and 3 with a short pendant at the head of the sail. Fix 1 with a backstay adjustment. These things have fixed my Harken gear, which was prone to jamming when I first got it. Good luck.

#3 2007-08-13 02:00:17

Re: Hood furler jamming...

Is your furler a Sea Furl 2636?

Board footer