C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-09-27 08:44:20

tboicey

Holding tank vent pipe blocked?

(The boat is a MkI with the Prototank recirculating system...)

When I return to the boat weekend to weekend, there is a strong head smell in the cabin. With a bit of tank deodorant, a lot of flushing, and opening all the hatches... it more or less disappears and the boat is usable.

However, I noticed that there is no odour detectable at the outlet of the head vent on the side of the hull.

Could I assume the vent line is blocked and this is possibly a factor?

Is it safe to "rod out" the vent line with a coat hanger or similar?

Cheers.

["Cheers" suggests "Down the hatch", which suggests other remedial measures involving suction. I'm staying out of this discussion. - Admin]

Last edited by (2007-09-27 12:30:24)

#2 2007-10-21 11:29:48

Re: Holding tank vent pipe blocked?

I would think a blast of air or perhaps a powerwasher would be safer than rodding. I experienced a similar condition and eventually realized the sanitation hoses become odor permeable with age. Antifreeze also shortens the odor proof life of hose. Test the hoses with a hot wet rag at low points and sniff the rag afterwards. Good  hose is only odorsafe for a few years ,even the best at about $9 per ft is only waranteed for 5 yrs.

#3 2007-10-21 16:12:56

tboicey

Re: Holding tank vent pipe blocked?

Thanks for the tips. I may have to wait until next year...

From an earlier piece of advice, I cleaned the wasps nest out of the end and forced a bit of water in with a water hose pressed against the vent.

Since then I haven't had any odour, although the head also hasn't been used and the weather has been cooler...

So I may have to wait until next year... I also plan on switching the flushwater from recirculation to fresh water, so I might find other nasties along the way.

Board footer