C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-04-17 09:29:10

Mast raising & lowering - MK 1 1972

Hi! I am the owner of a 1972 C&C27 MKI short rig. I would like to be able to take the mast down or up by myself. The mast is just sitting on a base plate and hold in place by two pins. Is any one aware if a part like we find on a Tanzer26, a mast foot with a pin hole exist for a C&C27 mast?

Thank you

Jean, I am changing the name of this thread to more accurately represent what you're asking. Maybe that will tweak the interest of someone who remembers the solution. We did have a discussion about mast raising and lowering on both the Mk I and the Mk V, but I can only find the Mk V discussion. Use the Search function for the subject "Tabernacle" - there's quite a bit there. - Admin

Last edited by (2008-04-18 07:30:43)

#2 2008-04-19 10:46:59

tboicey

Re: Mast raising & lowering - MK 1 1972

Yes, I had one made up by Klacko spars.
Here is my mast raising kit at work. I have since added an electric winch, but in these images a friend is grinding away...

http://www.boicey.com/sailboats/mastraising.jsp

#3 2008-04-20 10:44:44

Thank you TBoicey, I am inquiring now at Klacko Spars. Have you got this done recently?

Jean Rousseau

#4 2008-04-20 14:09:41

tboicey

Yes, about a year ago. I sent them the plans from the Tanzer 26 and a tracing of the mast base, and they did the rest.

If I sell my boat and the new owner doesn't want the kit, I might be able to sell it separately. But that's a few if's.

#5 2008-04-21 07:32:24

Thank you for the offer. But in fact I was thinking using my spinnaker pole instead of a "A" frame. I saw that technique being used in Europe. I am wondering how and where you store the "A" frame tubings when your away on a long journey?

#6 2008-04-22 10:29:26

tboicey

If you use a spinnaker pole on a boat this size, for sure you'd want to rig up something VERY hefty for lateral support. The geometry of this boat means that the shrouds don't tighten at all until the mast is pretty much erect, so it would surely collapse sideways if you tried to lift it without.

The a frame lies flat on the boat, so I often just leave it there. But it undoes at the base with a pair of pins  and can be removed for storage. But I often leave them there because some of my longer trips involve a few mast raises and drops...

Board footer