C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-04-24 11:44:36

bjarki

Hull Deformation

A contractor leaned my boat forward in order to remove my rudder for repairs in the fall. The rudder has still not been replaced and the boat sits on a forward lean still.  This placed a lot of load on the cradle support pads towards the bow. I noticed that there is quite a bit of deformation on the hull around the bow side pads. The contractor obviously does not think this is a problem, but I am concerned. Today I added a jackstand at the center line between the bow pads to take some of the load. Does anyone have experience with this? Will the hull regain it's shape?

#2 2008-04-24 15:52:19

tboicey

Re: Hull Deformation

From my limited experience, it should be fine, if we have the same definition of "quite a bit". To me that would be "if you ask your wife if she can see it she says yes".

Are the cradle supports in the wrong place? They should be lined up with a bulkhead in the boat. Typically against the bulkhead separating the head and the salon, and not lined up with center of the closet and the wall behind the head.

#3 2008-04-24 23:42:12

Scott

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">No, it&rsquo;s not ok and it may not be fine.  Define Fine.  Will it float?  Probably and that&rsquo;s fine?  The hull laminates are being affected by the stresses imposed and steps should be taken to properly stand the boat.  It should have been returned to be supported by the cradle supports after the rudder was removed.  I wouldn&rsquo;t assume the contractor knows what he&rsquo;s doing.  What you can be sure he knows is that it&rsquo;s not his boat.  It sounds like a lazy contractor who didn&rsquo;t want to make the effort to raise and lower the boat properly.  He took the rudder last fall?  And it&rsquo;s still not ready?  I&rsquo;d have a number of questions for that contractor.  The hull MAY regain it&rsquo;s shape but the concave areas and the areas around them were and are being adversely affected by the stress.Scott Schoeler, MKIII, "Scot-Free"

Scott Schoeler, Hull 858, "Scot-Free"

#4 2008-04-26 01:13:39

bjarki

Thank you for your comments and replies. The contractor has assured me it will be fine...hmmm.

I guess I now have to spend money on a surveyor to properly access any possible damage.

#5 2008-05-06 14:42:37

moefahmy

Sorry to read that Bjorki. I had the same problem last year, you remember! My contractor made a small hole under the rudder and pulled the rudder without having to move the boat an inch.  The new rudder was installed today again without having to move the boat. The boat is ready for launching next Saturday. So I think you chose the wrong contractor.  The central under-pad should help lessen the pressure.  I hope the contractor is right and the boat didn't sustain structural damage.

Mike Fahmy

Kokopelli, BYC

<h5 style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Mike Fahmy</h5>
<h5>Kokopelli, Mk 3 # 735 ; ; BYC, Ottawa, Ontario</h5>
<h5> ;</h5>

#6 2008-05-07 12:43:37

Scott

Bjorki; Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, it's been a busy spring.  And I'm sorry for my curt reply earlier.  I was in a hurry and didn't have time to give you any background. Anyway, a few years ago a guy in Rochester NY had a Ranger 29 on stands. Late in the fall the back keel block sank, putting all the weight of the back half of the boat on the two jack stands. To shorten the story; the concaved areas "mostly" returned and the boat was launched. When it was hauled in the fall, after cleaning the bottom he noticed there were blisters on the hull for the first time. The only place the blisters appeared were where the back jack stand pads were. That's when I was called in. It was an old boat and the marina and owner worked it out but it sent me to my back yard. I had an old Fox 18 I'd been given after it washed up on the rocks during a storm. I tipped it back on some pop-its and let it sit for the summer. The hull caved in like I'd hoped and I cut some sections out to see what was going on with the laminates. The best I can describe it is to take a narrow strip of thin plywood and bend it. The laminated layers bend at different rates and very minutely separate. But they don't separate enough to notice from any outside appearance. I used a small hand-held microscope I bought from Radio Shack, magnified the cross-cut section 600 times and I could clearly see there was separation. Back to the Ranger 29, that's why the blisters showed up. There was an incredibly small void for the water to collect, and it did.  I've seen several similar situations since then and tried to follow a few.  Some developed problems, some didn't.  The best words of wisdom are; It's best if it never happed so always make sure the blocking is backed by bulkheads. But if it does happen, shorter is better and the quicker you can take the pressure off the fewer problems show up.  I encourage you to get the boat back in its place on the cradle (if you haven't already) and work on the concaved areas.  You might try heating the areas with a heat lamp, inside and out, to warm the areas to the touch.  Be careful not to over heat.  You want to be able to hold your hand flat on the hull and it's best to do this before fresh bottom paint is applied for the season.  A yard did this and I was told it worked well.  Best of luck.
Scott Schoeler, MKIII, "Scot-Free"

Scott Schoeler, Hull 858, "Scot-Free"

Board footer