C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-05-25 09:13:20

windyday

Cleaning out the C&C cove line

The C&C cove in the hull just below the deck seam was painted.  We started stripping out the paint with Interlux Interstrip, but it is hard to get all the old paint out to prep for new paint or Mylar striping.  I'm thinking about finding wooden dowl with the same radius as the cove, covering it with sandpapaer, and carefully using that to clean out the cove.  Anyone know the radius?  Any other suggestions?

---------
1974 C&C 27 Mk II in PEI

Last edited by (2008-05-26 23:53:13)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#2 2008-05-25 14:01:52

Nepenthe

Re: Cleaning out the C&C cove line

I've found the best thing for taking off old paint on gel coat is oven cleaner.  If you use a kitchen scrub pad, it allows you to scrub off the paint without scratcing the gel coat.  You should be able to get into the cove with this as well.
Greg Tokarz, Nepenthe, Mk1 Hull #73

Greg Tokarz,
Nepenthe, C&C 27 Mk1, Hull #73
National Yacht Club, Toronto

#3 2008-05-26 01:46:53

"Easy-off" and a plastic scraper or plastic pot scrubber.

#4 2008-05-31 05:43:03

windyday

Thanks all.  Easy-Off didn't work for me, but it's an old can, which may not have helped. I went back to Interstrip, prowled the hardware stores, googled more and did more experiments.  Finally found the right formula:

1. Mask off the cove.
2. Leave the Interstrip on much longer than we had been, about 45 minutes ar our temperature, and apply it thicker, touching up after the first 20 minutes.
3. 3M Contour Stripper is like 3M'sScotchBrite pad, but more porous.  When I bent it, it fit perfectly into the cove.  I was able to remove all the paint in the cove easily by gently moving the Stripper pad back an forth.  No sign of scratches,

Thank goodness -- now we can get that job done, once the rain lets up.

I found a fruit or vegetable corer that fits the cove radius exactly.  With careful grinding I turned it into a cove scraper to remove the few residual bits of paint, but it didn't lift that tenacious paint.

---------
1974 C&C 27 Mk II in PEI

Last edited by (2008-06-01 20:18:32)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#5 2008-06-14 05:55:01

windyday

Got it done.  Learned as I went - had it worked out best for the last 10 feet. Here's precisely what worked for me:

1. 1.5" masking tape each side of the cove.
2. Duct tape on top of the masking tape. This combination nicely protected the gelcoat on either side of the cove when I scraped inside the cove, and prevented pink staining of the outside gelcoat.
3. Pretty much filled the cove with Interstrip (the paint was thick, red).
4. Waited 25 minutes (air temps about 15 C) until the paint was blistered.
5 Scooped out about 3/4 of the blistered paint and excess Interstrip with my converted apple corer.
6. Scoured most of the rest of the paint out with the 3M Counter Stripper pad.
7. Wiped up with a rag.
8. Removed the tapes.
9. Sanded the cove with 120 sandpaper to lift out the remaining bits of red paint on the edges and tidy up the gelcoat.
10. Wiped with Varsol.
11. Washed with boat soap.

I'm pleased with the result. I won't be putting paint back in that cove!

---------
1974 C&C 27 Mk II in PEI

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer