C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-09-12 07:16:15

pura vida

End of Summer Weather

Well guys, it looks like it is time to pay the piper for having a year long sailing season. We're going to have a storm surge that will completly submerge Galveston Island. Most of the island is already underwater. Wind Horse is as safe as possible on a floating dock in Clear Lake. A sharp eye can pick her out her stern in one of the KHOU news clips made yesterday. We're expecting a storm surge in Galveston Bay somewhere between 15 and 22 feet, near the top of the pilings. There are three or four 27s in my marina. I'll follow-up in a few days with a report on the southern boats.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#2 2008-09-12 07:44:56

JWente

Re: End of Summer Weather

best of luck and we hope everything is still floating where it should be on Monday!

#3 2008-09-12 12:35:50

ferreira

Hi Mike,

good luck.

;

#4 2008-09-15 09:12:23

pura vida

Watergate Yachting Center on Clear Lake was hit hard by Ike. Of the C&C 27s in the marina I can account for three, my MK II, a MK IV and a MK V. Start and Stripes, a MK III is missing and may be in another marina. The marina opens on clear lake to the north east and took straight line winds into the entrance for about seven hours. There is a small breakwater that stands about two feet over normal high tide. With a surge in the marina between 10 and twelve feet it did nothing. My guess is that 100 boats, maybe more, have been totally destroyed. Boats on floating docks came away with stretched docklines and no more. Boats on fixed piers had much more damage. Boats on the docks with low pilings, below six feet in height suffered the most. Some areas south of us, Galveston's west end and the Bolivar peninsula were completly wiped out. One marina at the top of the bay had all of the floating piers lift off of the pilings and the entire dock floated away as one raft.

All in all we were very lucky.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#5 2008-09-15 13:13:59

Mike,

We were not as lucky as you as we were at the entrance near the breakwater of the marina.  Our 27 is quite the boat since she was one of the few that made it through the storm on our dock.  A Hunter 30 next to us sunk and a Cape Dory 28 was found floating in the debri field that used to be our marina.

My son and I returned at 1:30 pm just as the storm passed and the winds were still 35 to 40 knots.  We thought we saw our boat at the end of the marina but not certain.  We found a kayak washed up on the shore and an oar.  My son, knowing how much the boat meant to me said he would row out the 1/2 mile and see if it was our C&C.  Another crazy salior was at the marina and gave us a life jacket.  He rowed out the 1/2 mile to our boat and mircaulousy it was there holding  by a single New England Rope line. The boat had taken on 1 foot of water and the automatic bilge pump was working furiously.  Luck, the lord, we don't know the old 4 started.  He cut the line and the boat went to a more secure slip.  Walk down from your silp to slip 11 and you will see Stars and Stripes.  We may rename her Old Glory when you look at her transom.

We suffered two hole through the hull above the water line but they should be repairable.  We will need some new tow rail and deck seam but she will sail again. Can you still buy the orginal toe rail?  How about the seam material?

David T

Stars and Stripes

Kemah, Texa

#6 2008-09-15 23:59:51

pura vida

David,

I am so glad to hear this mixed news. On the one hand I am sad to hear about any damage to your boat. It is a show piece and in the best condition of any 27 in the area. On the other hand just to know she is safe it a miracle considering where you were. I'm surprised that I didn't notice your boat, but I must admit that my eyes were a little blurry when I saw Wind Horse looking like nothing had happened.

I did see Warren who used to own Serendipity. He has sold the MK I and bought a Catalina 30. Being an old Catalina guy I have to admit I see why a lot of people like them, but man are they slow.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#7 2008-09-16 01:39:54

carriden

Hey David,
Glad to hear your boats made it through Ike.  Up here in the north, our only compensation for the short sailing season is the more temperate weather.  By the time the remains of Ike blew through the Great Lakes, it simply provided us with some great sailing weather.

The toe rail and the seam material (butyl rubber caulking) are still available up here in the homeland of C&C.  Try contacting Bristol Marine in Mississauga, Ontario at 905-891-3777 and ask for Steve, the parts manager.  Alternatively, contact South Shore Yachts in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario at 905-468-4340.  Phone them, they don't do well with e-mail.  South Shore inherited all of C&C's leftovers, such as castings, etc. after C&C finally went bust for the last time.  They also probably have the original builder's file for your boat, should you be interested in buying it from them.  Good luck!Marcus from Carriden
Mk III, Hull #847

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#8 2008-09-16 12:38:15

Marcus,

Thanks for the information.  This will give me a chance to improve the boat and give her another ten or fifteen years of new life.  I am sharing a pier with Wind Horse again so I am hoping to not have Mike give another Hurricane report for many years to come.

As Mike stated, the destruction on fixed pier docks was devastating.  Any of our southern neighbors would do well to be on a floating dock.  Slips will be at a premium here in the Galveston Bay Area for quite some time. 

Take care!

David T

Stars&Stripe

Kemah, Texas

Board footer