C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-10-23 10:23:24

bbc

Replacing in-boom mainsheet plate

My Mk 111 boom has a rivited through-boom cast aluminum plate approx 18" from the aft end of the boom to which the upper mainsheet block is attached. Years of wear (SS on alunimum) has severely weakened both fore and aft holes. Has anyone located and replaced this original equipment recently? Any other metal options that will not result in galvanic reaction and weakening of the boom?

Thanks.
Mk3 HIN 456

Mk3 HIN 456

#2 2008-10-28 03:39:23

David Masury

Re: Replacing in-boom mainsheet plate

I was looking at the boom the other day and feel that it is time to fix the worn holes as you describe... I am taking the boom to my local sailmaker where he can swage into the hole a stainless steel grommet.  That should give new life to the mainsheet attachement, and even those would be replaceable.
'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2008-11-09 10:15:22

bbc

Re: Replacing in-boom mainsheet plate

David, Sorry for the delayed response. I have been travelling in Southern Ontario looking for a pre-owned steel cradle for the boat. Thanks for the excellent idea. I am having a local machine shop do as you suggested. A very reasonally priced retrofit.

Mk3 HIN 456

Mk3 HIN 456

Board footer