C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-10-26 08:51:25

dzeilstra

MkV Windvane self steer project

I recently completed a Monitor windvane selfsteering project on my MkV and thought I'd post this in case anyone else was considering this.   Scanmar now has custom installation plans for C&C 27 MkV.  Photos available here:  <a href="http://www.selfsteer.com/boats/view.php?boatTypeID=2590">http://www.selfsteer.com/boats/view.php?boatTypeID=2590</a>

Don Zeilstra

#2 2008-10-26 09:46:46

Re: MkV Windvane self steer project

(1)who is the manufacturer of your boarding ladder?

(2)your windvane looks pretty complicated compared to the raytheon autohelm that my "magique" has that drives the tiller. I guess the windvane has a lower carbon footprint than a battery-operated autohelm?copasetic

#3 2008-11-08 02:08:10

Hi.  Might I ask how much this unit cost, and if it would work with a tiller version Mk V?  How long does it take to engage and disengage it under sail?

Thanks  Barry Oasis, 1987 Mk V

Last edited by (2008-11-08 02:09:16)

#4 2008-11-09 08:42:34

(1) the gadget came with the boat when I acquired it last year-so I can't help with the cost. It is a Raytheon ST1000 Plus- manual has a 1998 date. It does not interface with a gps. The model ST2000 Plus does interface-I have used this on another boat.

(2) my markV is a tiller boat. The disengagement is extra-easy. The arm of the autotiller has a small hole which fits over a small pin on the tiller. Simply lift the arm and you are back to human control. When you want to go back to auto-simply reinsert the pin into the hole in the arm and restart "otto".

I enjoy it when single-handing as I can mess around with sail trim and the steering is better than I can do. It is probably not as good as a human when beating in a breeze because it doesn't know about puffs or swells etc, so its decision-making skill is a little below mine-but not way below

I think the real trick is doing a proper installation=which had been completed by a previous owner.copasetic

#5 2008-11-09 14:25:17

Sorry for the confusion, I was actually wanting to ask these questions about the wind vane.  Oasis is also has tiller steering, and I was wanting to learn more about wind vanes.

Barry, Oasis, 1987 Mk V

#6 2008-11-10 11:15:04

dzeilstra

Barry,

Yes, windvane self steering works very well with tiller steered boats.  The Monitor unit has a tiller adapater kit as well as the wheel adapter kit.  Check the Scanmar website for the price list.  It isn't cheap (glad I committed to it before the October crash), but I figure it is a life time investment - I can take it with me to any other boat I eventually might own with minor modifications to the mounting frame.

Don, Fluttercut, 1985 MkV

#7 2008-11-10 11:20:03

dzeilstra

Copasetic,

I don't know who made the ladder; it was on it when I bought the boat three seasons ago.  There are a lot of resources on the web about the relative pros and cons of windvane vs electronic autopilot self steering and I won't go into it here.  Autopilots work off electronic inputs mainly magnetic compas and are better for motoring to a fixed point.  Windvanes work off the aparent wind and are better for sailing which is what I mostly want to do.

Don, Fluttercut, 1985 MkV

Board footer