C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-11-17 13:37:06

Brent

Mk 5 keel question

Greetings. I have told in short the tale of woe being the new owner of a project mk5 which took a hull fracturing crash into a Lake Winnipeg reef. I recently did a bit of digging into the repaired laminate and I'm unhappy with what i have found. Poor beveling, lack of anti-fouling stripping, lack of mechanical adhesion to the hull etc. I'm going to grind it all off and redo it this spring and utilize carbon cloth and west system to make it right.

Now the keel issue. Just in front of the keel sump, the grp part of the keel above the lead part, what is the composition of this thick thing. It is as wide as the top of the keel and appears to be a solid block of glass which bears some of the downward load of the mast. Mine was repaired at some point but took in some water which likely from freezing, cracked the floor of the head and weeps a little while the boat is out of the water.

Do I need to remove most of this big hunk of glasswork and if I do what can I expect it to be comprised of. Solid glass, a laminate of some kind... or should I just burn the boat down? Have I lost faith in rebuilders from Manitoba? Well not if I have a tupperware dish with a crack in it.

Hopefully this banter makes sense.

Brent D

S/V Wild Rover

C&C Mk5 #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#2 2008-11-18 02:46:05

Steve Reid

Re: Mk 5 keel question

Brent:

I have done quite a bit of work to the keel on my Mark V (hull #75), 3 years ago I made fairing templates from original C&C Drawing of the boat. I got the drawings from South Shore Yachts. If you want to contace me directly I may be able to help you with your questions and tell what I have found. My email is steve dot reid at allstream dot net. The large hunk of solid grp, as you describe it, is actually part of the hull and was moulded when the boat was laid up in the mould.

Yuo might also try contacting Rob at South Shore Yachts regarding your situation, Rob worked for C&C at the time that these boats were built and he is very familiar with how they were made, you may also be able to acquire copies of the original layup drawing from him. If you are interested in templates for the keel I still have the ones I made so contace me.

Steve Reid

Still Knot Working Mark V #75

[Normally I delete any reference to private responses via e-mail unless for the purpose of buying or selling something. Why? read this explanation. This query and its answer, however, are potentially so complex that I'm going to let them stand. We would, however, appreciate a precis of the conversation and your discoveries for the record. - Admin]

Last edited by (2009-11-03 00:06:16)

Board footer