C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-01-24 05:33:54

moefahmy

Spinnaker measurements

This site specifies the SMW measurement for MK 3 at 21.15' (180%).  What about the luff measurement for symmetrical spinnakers? Is it the I measurement, i.e. 37'? and what would be the measurements for assymetrical spinnakers?  Any clarification will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike Fahmy
<p style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir="ltr">Kokopelli, Mk 3 # 735
<p style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir="ltr">BYC, Ottawa, Ontario

<h5 style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">Mike Fahmy</h5>
<h5>Kokopelli, Mk 3 # 735 ; ; BYC, Ottawa, Ontario</h5>
<h5> ;</h5>

#2 2009-01-27 09:25:39

woodenr

Re: Spinnaker measurements

The old North spinnaker that came with my Mk 3 measures SMW 21.00; SL 35.5.  Lake Michigan shows the allowable as SMW 21.15 and SL at 36.88.  I'm not sure why this is a bit short of the I of 37.00...

I've flown the spinnaker a good bit for distance races and a foot longer or so would be fine.  If I have a new one made I'd make it close to 37.00 and lower the pole a bit.

Bob Wooden - Rhapsody waiting for spring in Wisconsin...

#3 2009-02-02 07:11:44

moefahmy

Thank you very much for your input Bob. I am surprised that the measurements are not specified in the class rules.  Does this mean that there is no restriction? I wonder!

Mike Fahmy

<h5> ;</h5>

#4 2009-02-03 09:21:48

c&c27dyc

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Mike, class rules maybe not, but, handicap outings yes. Handicap reviews should be filed for; a) Spinnaker width greater than 1.8 times J. b) Spinnaker height greater than .95 times the square root of (I squared plus J squared). Basically more the 180% J
Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
Halifax, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

#5 2009-02-06 15:01:05

moefahmy

Thank you Dean, if my calculations are correct, then the hight should be 36.88 or roughly very close to the I measurement.

When you refer to height, do you mean the centre of the sail or the luff-leech measurement? Some spinnakers extend downwards a foot or two at the centre.   

Mike Fahmy

<h5> ;</h5>

#6 2009-02-10 01:07:45

c&c27dyc

Yes, your height ( luff & leach ) is reflective of your I. This rule does not apply to A-kites though. The bottom part of the sail below the foot is referred to as the foot round, and is incorporated into the design when manufactured. Cheers.
Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
Halifax, N.S.

Dean M Baldwin
Morgan "D"
Mark III - Hull 516
North Sydney, N.S.

Board footer