C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-03-04 05:43:20

Burnham_Bob

English owner wants advice on a holding tank

I have a Trapper 500 - the English built version of the C&C 27.  Mine was built in 1978 and she is a fabulous boat - ideal for our cruising.  But here in Europe they are getting more fussy about holding tanks.  We want to fit one, but can't find any English Trapper owners with a holding tank.  (The tidal waters of the UK mean we don't usually need one and in Marinas we use the obnshore facilities)

From the forum I see that some later C&C 27s had holding tanks.  Can anyone advise me where the best place to fit one is?  As its a retrofit it would be good to know if any 27 owners have fitted one, if there was not one alrwady fitted to the boat.  Not sure the internal layout is exactly the same but your help would be appreciated.

#2 2009-03-04 06:42:41

carriden

Re: English owner wants advice on a holding tank

Hello Bob,

The later Marks II and III of the 27 had specially shaped rigid polyethylene holding tanks mounted directly behind (outboard of) the head itself.  They were enclosed in an area below the shelf and behind the longitudinal teak bulkhead.  In the Mark IV, C&C mounted a rigid polyethylene tank up forward, beneath the V-berth.

In your situation, the simplest thing may be to get a Vetus (a Dutch company) collapsible bladder tank and mount it forward under the V-berth.  I used one of these tanks in my C&C 25 for 19 years, with no trouble and no odours.  You will need to fiberglass down some anchor points to the inside of the hull, to keep the bladder from shifting and abrading.  Alternatively, you could glass in a support shelf and mount a rigid tank under the V-berth.

I hope that this helps clear things up for you.  Keep the stick up and the keel down!

Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Last edited by (2009-03-05 04:37:27)

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#3 2009-03-04 19:39:36

pura vida

I added a Compact holding tank to my MKII and plumbed it straight to the deck. The biggest con was that I had to build out a platform to move the head forward about two inches and replace the sliding door with a curtain to make it fit. The biggest pro was that I didn't have to cut through bulkheads or remove any cabnetry to complete the install. Plus I still have the storage behind the head. The volume is limited so I purchased a Y valve in case I wanted to pump over where legal, but to date have not yet installed it.

<a href="http://www.raritaneng.com/products/holding_tanks/compact_tanks.html">http://www.raritaneng.com/products/holding_tanks/compact_tanks.html</a>
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2009-03-04 21:45:24

windyday

Replacing the holding tank is far and away the biggest problem I've had in refitting our Mark II C&C 27. I removed the cabinets behind the toilet and the original bladder tank that was there (yucky - glad it's gone). I've been scouring the Internet and thinking out every possible solution. None are easy. The head is still stripped of all cabinets while I ponder.

---------
"New" 1974 C&C 27 Mk II undergoing refit

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

Board footer