C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-04-03 09:01:53

pablorusjan

Mast weight

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Hello to all,
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">I just bought a C&C27 MkV last week and I am preparing it for land transportation.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">At this point the mast is lying horizontal on top of the boat, and the boat is on a cradle. I have been advice that it would be safer for the transportation to put the mast outside of the boat. I would like to know how heavy the mast is and whether is it possible for 2 men to move it out of the boat without damage neither the mast nor the boat.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Thank you
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Pablo
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">

S/V Mystic
MkV #138

#2 2009-04-03 13:30:44

jpsilverboat

Re: Mast weight

Pablo, I could'nt tell you how much it weihts but I can tell you that just last summer I tied a line at each end of the mast and my wife and I took each our end of the mast and lowered it to the ground from the same position that yours is, and all that without to much effort from either of us. <h4>JP(Douce Menace)</h4>

<h4>JP(Douce Menace)</h4>

#3 2009-04-03 19:00:08

windyday

Last summer I lifted the mast off the boat, which was on its trailer after getting it home from purchase, I used 4 people and it was easy. Two on the boat, one at each end with a long rope tied to the mast, and two below to guide it off the boat to the ground to avoid damage, and then carry it away. The spreaders and lifelines were the main hassle. Two people can carry the mast -- watch the backs.

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#4 2009-04-04 00:02:29

cf105glenn

When we were working on moving our boat, it took 4 people to  move the mast from the ground to the top of the boat while on the transport cradle.  I did not like the idea of balancing on a ladder and holding onto a mast at the same time without some assistance. I would recommend the same resources for the reverse operation.

Glenn

Mk V Lake Winnipeg

;

#5 2009-04-04 00:03:10

<pre>Hi, i estimate my Mark V 1985 mast at about 150 pounds. It's a Cinkel model. Préférably have 4 people to lwer it to the ground.
However, i move my boat 2 years ago from Ottawa to Sorel ( 300km ) with the mats on the top of the boat with no problem at all. The only concern was the overall height of the load on the road. should not exceed 13 feet total in Canada.

So if you want to let the mast on the top of your boat, put it lower as possible. secure it well against back and for move and thats'it.

I'm not sure but the later model ( like 1988 ) built in Rhodes Island ( C&C 27 Waves i guess ) have a lighter weight. .......

Jean,

</pre>Jean Rivest,
Sorel-Tracy

#6 2009-04-11 10:25:47

Brent

Greetings. I'm not sure but mine felt like a little more than 150#. I took it off the boat by myself this spring and that is no easy effort. I removed the spreaders, tied everything tight to the mast drank a Redbull and got to it. I moved it so the masthead lay under the pushpit on top of a seatee cushion and then pushed it backwards and lift and pushed until the heaviest part was snug atop the cabin top handrails. I knew this might wreak the seal but I'm removing them anyway. I moved it back enough that I could reach it from the ground and from there just pulled it along. 3 feet of snow made for a soft landing with no damage except for the old crappy VHF aerial. Once the base was clear the pushpit supports I tied a line to the mast and lowered it the rest of the way. For my efforts I was sore, pinched, scratched and breathing heavily and the mast now sits atop two lawn chairs beside the boat with only a little scrape in the paint. I wouldn't do it again or recommend it but I'm still young and stupid.

As for the transportation I hauled mine 80 km from the harbor to my backyard with the mast atop the pulpit and pushpit. It all took the weight well and with the middle well supported on fenders there was no bouncing. With recommendation I also strapped the boat to the trailer with heavy duty 4" hi way straps. Just make sure you place 2x4s or something at the deck flange where the straps pass otherwise you may damage the flange.

Good luck with the move.
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#7 2009-04-24 14:28:12

pablorusjan

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Thank you very much for your advices.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">At the end, the seller's broker offered lower the mast to the ground with a crane so I skipped the problem. The transportation service was excellent and she is now in Toronto.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Happy sailing!
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Pablo
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">C&C 27 MkV #138

S/V Mystic
MkV #138

Board footer