C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-05-04 06:26:22

TBracken

Gusher 10 Mk.II Valve Plate Needed

I recently purchased a service kit hoping to refurbish the original Whale Gusher 10 Mk II bilge pump on Dauntless.  Unfortunately the original valve plate within the pump is literally half disintegrated from being in saltwater.  While Whale has the necessary valves in the service kit, they no longer manufacture a replacement valve plate for the Gusher 10 Mk II.

The original valve plate is so far gone it's even useless as a template to fabricate a replacement.  Does anyone have one "just lying around" collecting dust that I could use?

Any help would certainly be appreciated.
-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#2 2009-05-04 07:47:27

windyday

Re: Gusher 10 Mk.II Valve Plate Needed

Sorry, I refurbished mine, except still waiting for that special eye bolt to arrive.

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#3 2009-05-04 10:33:36

TBracken

Special eye bolt.  What special eye bolt?  Mine is so far gone, I didn't even know there was some type of eye bolt on the valve plate.
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#4 2009-05-04 22:10:24

David Masury

Don't go buying a special eye bolt....  simply, get a 1/2 in carriage bolt, galvanized or bronze..  grind the head flush with the square and drill a hole in the square to fit the cross shaft... $2 tops and it will last just as long as the special eye bolt.
'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

'IRIS'
1975 C&C 27 Mk lll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#5 2009-05-05 02:39:30

TBracken

Eye bolt?  Are we talking about the same part?  Pictures of the original valve plate show an elevated protrusion at the center bottom of the plate (below the valve hole), but no eye bolt. 
A picture of the deteriorated plate is available at: <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/Todd.Bracken.Photos/DauntlessMaintenance?authkey=Gv1sRgCOi2q_abkrr1Xw#5332348857573876530">http://picasaweb.google.com/Todd.Bracken.Photos/DauntlessMaintenance?authkey=Gv1sRgCOi2q_abkrr1Xw#5332348857573876530</a>
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#6 2009-05-05 19:15:41

windyday

Todd: Sorry - confused you by bringing up that eye bolt. It is a different part of the pump. I meant that I had been able to refurbish my Gusher 10, except for that eye bolt. If a guy had the right tools and a source for a piece of aluminum, it would be farily easy to fabricate a new plate, I think.

Iris: Thanks for the tip on the bolt. I'll take a look at that option again.

The exploded parts drawing for a Gusher 10 is here <a href="http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product_list/7/49/">http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product_list/7/49/</a>

Last edited by (2009-05-05 19:21:05)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#7 2009-05-05 23:17:09

pura vida

There is a whole pump on ebay for $50 (plus another $25 shipping). It is in buffalo.

I've found them at the flea markets here on the coast for next to nothing. It may just be a matter of shopping.

search ebay for "whale gusher 10 mkii"

best
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#8 2009-05-06 01:04:42

TBracken

Glad we've solved the eyebolt question...

I've also pinged Whale Water Systems.  They basically say I'm out of luck.  However, they are checking to see if they have any old mk. II valve plates somewhere at their manufacturing facility in Ireland (but I doubt it).  If they are unsuccessful, I hope they will at least send me the engineering drawings of the part so I can accurately fabricate another myself.

I've already paid $50 for the service kit; I'm trying to keep this fix as inexpensive as possible.

Mike, thanks for the ebay lead, that was going to be my "plan B" if no one in our 27 community had one they weren't using.  We don't have too many flea markets with sailboat parts here in Indianapolis.  Because they were standard equipment on many of our 27's, I thought the best first place to start would be here. :-)
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#9 2009-05-08 21:06:00

pura vida

Todd,

Agreed, the best place to start is here. If you don't find the part right away something may still turn up in time. I have not been to a flea ( or the resale shop here in Clear Lake) since the hurricane, but I suspect that there may be some interesting stuff salvaged off of the boats. I'll keep an eye open.

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#10 2009-05-10 18:25:13

pura vida

Todd,

It turns out that the big Boaters Flea Market is this weekend in Kemah. Send me an note at sv wind horse at yahoo com if you are interested in the part (or whole pump) if I find one. Remember to consider shipping, but it should be cheap. The last time I bought a manual bilge pump there, it was about $20 and I picked up a small bruce for $15. On this other hand some people are entirely too proud of their stuff and expect an arm and a leg.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#11 2009-05-11 00:34:39

TBracken

A note is on its way...
-Todd Bracken