C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-05-16 11:28:05

dbutt

Water under floor near the head on Mark V

Anybody ever had water stuck under the floor near the head? I cant figure out how to get rid of it since it does not seem to drain into the main bildge area. it got there as a result of a full bildge, I believe. As the boat moves around, water leaks out and onto the fiberglass floor through the drain hole. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks, Dave Butt, Ghost

#2 2009-05-17 10:34:34

Re: Water under floor near the head on Mark V

To remove water under this part of floor, i made 2 holes under the head ( the vertical fiberglass side just near the floor ). I use hole saw about 2 1/2 " or so. You will then be able to put some sponge to remove water and clean under the head. There is a space between floor and hull. The space is fill with some epoxy compound but there some empty space that the water can travel.

i made also other holes about 4" to inspect other place like under the septic tank, behind the seat etc. I kept the pieces of fiberglass and fix it to be able to remove it  if i need to clean or inspect.Jean Rivest,
Sorel-Tracy

#3 2009-05-19 10:28:06

JWente

later models had a plastic hose running from somewhere under the liner...under the bulkhead door...and emerging and draining into the sump above the keel.  My hull # 69 has this.  I do not know if there is a way to retrofit....I hate the thought running a drill throuhgh there.

#4 2009-05-19 10:31:48

JWente

interesting.

does the support platform for the head stand up ok after adding the holes?

mu head is held down with screws, that are screwed to something under there, but the screws are loose, and I need to drill an access hole to replace the screws with bolts.

I've been woried about the strength of the platform if holes are drilled into the front of it.

Jim W

Distant Thunder

#5 2009-05-20 23:22:18

dbutt

Thanks for the feedback. Think I will just let water trickle out then spunge it up...which also works but takes a couple of weeks.

Dave

#6 2009-05-25 02:39:07

wrapper

Thanks for this post.  I just discovered the same problem with 1975 C&C27.  I am thinking I would drill a much smaller hole maybe about 1/4 inchesAllan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#7 2009-06-09 13:46:27

ferreira

Did you try looking in through the small door under the V-birth?

Remove the V-birth cuhsion and the board closer to the bulk head.  Open the small door, and look to see if you see any water there.

If you are more of a contortionist, you can crawl under the V-virth as it is, poke your head up to the door and see what's in there.

Let me know if you find water there.

How C&C didn't make allow for some draining between there and the bilge is a bit of a mistery.  Putting the knotmeter transducer in the easily accessible spot is also an interesting choice.

;

#8 2009-06-10 11:57:13

carriden

On a Mk. III, there should be drainage through from under the V-Berth right under the floor of the head and into the sump over the keel.   However, this drainage applies from a central point at the apex of the "Vee" where the floor space intrudes into the V-berth.  You know, the area which is covered over by the fill-in board and cushion when you are actually sleeping in the V-berth.  Any water which gets under the floor of the head should drain through this central passage into the sump.  However, it might just be possible for water to get trapped under the raised area of the floor-pan upon which the actual toilet sits, if the bonding agent which anchors the floor-pan molding to the inside of the hull has filled in all the spaces.

Allan, have you tried to see if water will drain from under the V-berth into the sump?  Also, older models of the 27 have glassed-in water-tanks under the V-berth.  I don't know how that might affect the drainage patterns in this area.
Marcus from Carriden

Mk III, Hull #847
Oakville, Ontario

Marcus Opitz,
Formerly from Carriden, Mk III, Hull #847,
now skippering "Everdina," a 1975 Ontario 32

#9 2009-06-13 21:50:20

Jeepsail

I have/had the ame issue with mine but it came with a nasty stink too.

First the removal:  First I used my hand held transfer pump which had a small diameter suction tube to remove the majority of the water.  After that I uses a wetvac with the suction tube necked down to a small diameter tube.  I plugged the gaps with a rag and used a short piece of tubing to reduce the amount of vacuum lost.

Then the fix:  There are several other posts that I've seem on the forum that address water is this area.  Maybe the are under the heading of foul-smell or somethink that becuase if the water stagnates it gets a little ripe.  Anyway, the general thought on how the water got there is this:  There is a small diamete drain hole in the anchor locker.  The anchor locker is not part of the hull but rather part of the deck or the forward liner.  The two pieces (hull and deck/interior liner) are not bonded together, therefore there is a small gap between the two liners.  The drain hole pentrates both. When water exists the anchor locker (or when the bow gets wet and water is forced into the drain hole) some of it seeps between the two liners and ends up in the forward bilge which does not drain.

To fix the drain hole problem: over drill the hole, tape the outside portion and fill with a thickened epoxy.  Let set.  Re drill hole through the solid epoxy.

I've cleaned out the forward bilge many many times.  It's a pain.  Becasue of the stink I have soaped it up, added head treatment, used a 36-inch long bottle brush to get under the liner and scrub, run a hose for what seemed like hours and hand pumped a small ocean to get it all out.  I have not fixed the anchor locker drain (yet), but last season the forwrd bilge stayed dry.  Maybe it was  dry season. I haven't been to the baot but once this season to put the main back on.  Maybe the bilge will be dry July 4 when I hope to see her again.

Good luck,

#10 2009-06-14 11:47:57

ferreira

you may also want to check the holding tank underneath the v-birth, to see that there isn't a leak.  This would correlate somewhat with the previous "foul-smell" post.

If it leaks, unfortunately, it will get stuck in this area.

;

#11 2009-06-14 23:32:46

Jeepsail

That is the likely cause.  The previous owner overfilled the tank so much that it came out the access port in the top.  Apparently it wasn't closed very tight.  Let me tell you, it's no pleasure having to clean that holding tank, there's very little room between the tank and the liner.  On my wish-list is to install a level gauge so I don't do the same thing.

Most access ports to holding tanks have o-rings to make a proper seal between the port and its screw-in plug. But on my own boat, the o-ring had deteriorated and vanished, permitting a vile seepage into the space under the v-berth when the boat was sailed hard with any quantity in the tank. Replacement of the o-ring made the tank tight again, so the only time it was overfilled, all the evidence emerged at the external vent and only at the vent (which was bad enough, but at least I didn't have to clean the entire forepeak). See the Black Arts article on heads. - Admin

Last edited by (2009-06-15 00:14:21)

Board footer