C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2009-06-17 00:27:48

danagle

How well does your boat heave to?

I went sailing yesterday afternoon and at one point decided to heave to. I'd never done this on my C&C before... all my previous experience heaving to was on a Catalina 22.

I tried several times, but no matter what I did I still ended up sailing, albeit slowly.

Is the CC27 just one of those boats that doesn't heave to well? Or is there a trick?

<address>Dan A.</address><address>s/v Juno</address><address>Mk1 #13
</address>

#2 2009-06-20 23:13:36

sailonbear

Re: How well does your boat heave to?

I heaved to several weeks ago for the first time.  Went from 8.8knots to .5k.  Easily done.  I just gently tacked and did not release the jib sheet.  As the jib came across I pushed the tiller back and held it there.  The boat sat very comfortably as my crew, um...chummed. To continue on, just released the tiller and continued the turn.  Basically turned 360 degrees with a stop at about 90.  I didn't touch any lines, used only the tiller.  This was in 4 foot seas and 20 knot winds.  Simply and comfortably done.

S/V Hyporborean

MK1  Hull #183

Tampa Bay, Florida

#3 2009-06-25 14:49:08

chriswheat

sailonbear, thanks for your reply, I've yet to heave to in my MKI (hull# 167). What size headsail did you have up during your exercise? Was the main reefed? Was the 8.8 knots over the ground?

Chriswheat Second Wind

Chesapeake Bay MD

Chriswheat Second Wind
Chesapeake Bay MD

#4 2009-06-25 23:54:00

sailonbear

The Jib is about a 120.  Main not reefed.  Sails are old and baggy, especially the main.  Speed was from GPS, so measured as speed over ground.  8.8k was sustained for a good few minutes with several bursts into the 9.0 to 9.2 range but I consider them anomalies.  Did the 'heave to' maneuver during this time.  Some of us were apparently enjoying the action more than others!  I started out sailing as close to the wind as possible, then dropped off just a bit to get the highest boat speed.  My boat (and I!) prefer to sail to windward.

Andy

S/V Hyporborean

#5 2009-06-26 03:29:06

chriswheat

Way to go Andy! Thanks for the insight.
Chriswheat Second Wind

Chesapeake Bay MD

Chriswheat Second Wind
Chesapeake Bay MD

#6 2009-06-28 01:55:50

capricous

I also have yet to try it,but if the weather ever breaks here in the northeast US. Im practicing.

Thanks for bringing up an important and handy tactic

Dana

Capricous Hull #599

Capricious Mark 3 Hull #599

Board footer